Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new set of truhart coilovers. After the installation I noticed that the car seems to not stay straight when driving. It feels like it constantly want to pull to the right or left and I have to force the steering wheel to stay straight. I also noticed it will also at time pull to where it pickups uneven road surfaces. The last issue I'm having is the coilovers seem to make spring binding noises when I turn left or right at a stop or low speeds. The car is on oem civic ex wheels 195/50R15 Falken Ziex tires. I also got an alignment done and it's still the same. Anyone have any recommended fixes for these issues? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
64 Posts
I just noticed your post and decided to offer my opinion fwiw. (two cents)

When you stiffen the suspension in any car you will notice a bit more road feedback. The effect you are having is called "bump steer" and it can take a little getting used to especially in the already excitable civic. The flip side is that you should now also have more precise input and faster response.
I drove vans for about 20 years and I had to relearn how to drive mine when I got it. I kept gripping the wheel too hard and had work at relaxing my arms before I got the feel for letting it find it's way on the rough undulating mountain roads. Try shrugging once in a while to make them relax.

Those tires appear to be a size too small if it's a 7th gen, or maybe a typo? :). Mine has factory aluminum rims and uses 195/60 r15 tires. I've got those Falkens (ziex950) on my wife's accord and they grab the road more than the touring tires I was using on my civic so that could be a factor too, though not as much.

If the struts have damping adjustment you can try tuning them softer to soak up the bumps better. Some coilover kits have pretty harsh damping settings to keep the really stiff springs from bouncing around. You might even see your handling improve as traction suffers if damping and rates get too high with regular tires. Tire wear and mileage do too.

You might get a softer spring set. Try to find info on spring rates available to fit those coilovers.

Increasing toe in a little can help tracking, but too much will cause issues with tire wear and sluggish handling.

Hope some part of this helps. :coffee:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I was checking my suspension over and found my tie rod ends were blown. I replaced them and got an alignment. I also got rid of the spring binding noise. I found the top nut on the right front coilover was loose. Tightened up and the noise went away. The only issue I'm having is the rear suspension sitting uneven on each side. I measure and set the height then when I get home they go back to being uneven again. I think it's the way they are designed for the rear coilovers. They do not have a locking collar ring and bottom body like tein or skunk2 has for our vehicles. Truharts for this car are fucking junk. These are the worst coilovers I've ever used. These are as poor quality as the maxpeedingrod coilovers that I originally bought for this car. Just gonna have to save up and get tein flex z or skunk2 pro-st coilovers.
Auto part Art Machine Font Carmine

Circuit component Machine Font Terrestrial plant Auto part

Automotive lighting Audio equipment Cylinder Font Machine

·
Super Moderator
64 Posts
Yeah those pillowball mounts do that sometimes, and yes, they should all have a lock ring. I thought Truharts had them though? Maybe they forgot to put them on yours? You might try some medium locktight on them.

I want to, but I can't recommend Tein right now considering my current hassles trying to get warranty...I also can't expect any less hassle with other companies warranties though. There's a thread in the suspension section detailing all the fun. Also Tein recently announced how great it is that most of their struts are now crimp top, no longer rebuildable and are made in China instead of Japan. They're probably still okay if you go for the top line ones. I decided to try the enduropro plus a few month ago and the rear's on mine have already bled out the nitrogen charge and are loose and not damping in the middle. <--try to explain that to some online car parts dealer email jockey. o_O

I'm planning to get something rebuildable next time and then just buy parts and build and charge what I want. I wish the two stage adjustables were more affordable. Having compression=rebound is pants.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts