Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the symptoms of having a minor clogged catalytic converter? Could it be affecting my rough idle? My car also feels like power is fluctuating or possibly hesitating all the way up to 3K rpm and then it feels smoother after that....or could it be O2? This is all after I switched motors. This is Luke's old motor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A clogged catalytic converter usually doesn't show much in the way of symptoms early on or at low speeds, but shows up worse and worse when you try to produce power, like when climbing hills, which your symptom doesn't match well.

Check for any OBD2 error codes. Doing a web search on any you find really helps too.

Do a full reset of the ecu by pulling a battery terminal loose for a while, keep it running and then drive it normally a little while to see if it recalculates okay.
If it's a vtec (d17a2) check for a stuck v-tec solenoid. (based on "smoother over 3k")
Suspect crappy fuel, especially if it's been down for any length of time.

Hope this helps, good luck.

p.s. if you really want to know if the cat is plugged, try pulling it loose(unless it's that crazy header one). Be sure to tie it up good with something non-flammable before pissing off the neighbors. ;>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts