Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner

1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE ***FIX EXPLAINED ON PAGE 5 POST 44***
***CORRECT ASSEMBLY PIC ON PAGE 10 POST 91***

YES I know another friggin raceland/rokkor thread... first off, I have been searching forums non stop for 2 days and still have not found my answer, I understand with suspension it could be many things, just trying to get an idea of where to head next. Before you say, new coilovers or whatever, I know they aren't the highest quality, just don't have the money and I know if its something I have to live with, so be it. I am here because this is a forum with great people on it and forums are for help when needed.

Anyways, BEFORE swapping out my stock struts/eibach pro kits, no noises what so ever, so all the stock suspension is out of the question (compliance bushings, swap bar links/bushings, strut mounts, tie rod ends, etc). This noise only started to occur after installing my rokkors, in which I have triple, even quadruple checked that EVERYTHING is tight. It is making the pop noise turning the wheel at slow or stopped, and when I got straight after turning, whatever way it was last turned, it starts pulling that direction slightly.

I did not use reducing washers, but did not seems to have an issue with fitment, but maybe that could be the cause, only problem is they are only popping on the front right it seems.

Basically, I have found TONS of threads of poeple saying the same thing and others of people saying no issues, so what is the culprit? Not one place did I find some saying, do this to fix the problem. Just wondering if someone had this problem, fixed it and now its gone. That is all.

Hate all you want, I cannot afford 1k+ coilovers being in school and working part time, my struts were blown so might as well get a drop at the same time. The ride is good, no issues of popping or noises while driving, just slow and stopped.

Anyways, help if you can, move on if you cant? Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV_4q7mQk3M

·
needs more -camber
3,589 Posts
Perma BAN

Lol, jk. First off are you using the bumpstops and the correct upper spring perch for the plastic or metal bearing?

Just watch the vid and definitly sounds like the spring is binding, either you didnt use the top mount bearing or you did and maybe just spray some lube

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Perma BAN

Lol, jk. First off are you using the bumpstops and the correct upper spring perch for the plastic or metal bearing?

Just watch the vid and definitly sounds like the spring is binding, either you didnt use the top mount bearing or you did and maybe just spray some lube
HAHA yeh thanks, figured there would be one of those, didn't think first post though, I AM using the bumpstops that came with the rokkors. There were 2 upper spring perches that were already on the spring when I opened the box, left them as is, I kind of had a feeling I might have only needed one? I used both with the stock strut bearing assembly above that.

·
needs more -camber
3,589 Posts
Yeah, only suppose to use 1 set of the bearing plates they supply depending what you have, plastic or metal

Dont mind the arrows, as you see here its a metal ball bearing type, the gold plate that sits under it is for the metal type, then you got your upper perch/top hat above

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is what mine looks like, I just snapped this pic... I have the red metal perch which has a lip on the top os it and the black perch sat amost perfectly within that lip, which is why I kept them together, then the strut mount above that...

So what you are saying is disassemble it and remove the black perch?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
yes dont use parts 2 or 7 from the diagram
fail!

as far as pulling. did you get an alignment?

Hey we gotta start somewhere right? I will take those parts off and take out 2 and 7 from the diagram and also the top black perch that the coilovers came with? Gonna do that maybe this afternoon when I get home.

I did get an alignment the morning after I did the swap. I adjusted the toe as much as I could to get it somewhate straight to drive there and the clunk was still there. It only pulls when I mainly turn it to the right, itll clunk, then I will go straight without making it clunk towards the left side and it will pull right driving straight, if that makes any sense.

Will post update after removing those... thanks for the replies and not being Aholes :D I really do appreciate it! Any other suggestions let me know, also should I remove the bump stops as well? not gonna hurt anything to I guess...

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes dont use parts 2 or 7 from the diagram
fail!

as far as pulling. did you get an alignment?
Alright I got it all apart right now, you say don't use parts 2 and 7... the problem is 7 is the bearing, and 2 is only the rubber stop for the original spring which isnt in the way at all. I don't think you could take out the ballbearings or else it would be even louder. Right now, I took the bump stop out, then just above the spring I will put the red perch, then the bearing and the upper mount and screw it down, is that what you are saying?

I will get a pic up in a sec

·
Registered
321 Posts
04 05 use the red spring seat. You need the black seat.

·
Hi I'm _Daniel_
6,235 Posts
7 is not a bearing. if your bearing (that seats under the part labeled "3" in the picture you took) is plastic, then use the black seat provided by raceland. if you bearing is metal then use the red seat provided by raceland.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The red seat fit perfect where as the black one did not fit at all. I have an 01-03 though but it fits PERFECT so I gess thats the one I use. I just searched home depot and other places for reducing washers, no luck haha. I will get bck once I finish lunch and let you all know. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well it's fixed.... no more annoying clunk noise! Thanks a bunch for all of you help. Hopefully other Rokkor/Raceland users with the clunk will see this and not have to ask you guys another hundred times :) As long as they use the search button haha

Now I just need to raise it more, lowered it the rest of the way, needless to say, my exhaust was dragging on everything haha

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
So how did you end up putting it together?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From the picture, I put the red perch on top of the spring, on #2 in the pic, the bearing itself separates from the massive metal piece, kind of a pain to seperate but it works, so that bearing went on top of the red perch and fit perfectly. If it doesn't fit right, use the black perch. Then the top mount (#3) went on top of that and screwed down.

Took her for a test drive and not even the slightest noise in my suspension anymore. GONE! :dance:

·
Registered
321 Posts
I wonder what the black perch is for then? I have an 05 and have had mine on for a couple months using the red seat and no problems. I just thought that according to the paper that comes with them that the black one went on 01-03's. oh well.

1 - 20 of 245 Posts