Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an 01 civic Dx and I've been thinkin about converting my rear drums to disc. I've seen the threads and I know it is possible with the rear brake assembly from an 02-03 civic si. However, I got a salvage rsx type s as a freebee and the rear dsc assembly is intact. Is it possible to swap in the type s brake assembly or will major modifications be involved?

·
I'm not not licking toads
599 Posts
:O How did you manage that frebee. :eek3:

From a quick Google read, I do not believe they will fit, but I am no expert.:dunno:

Good luck :tup:

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
the rsx is 5 lug. so unless you either want to do a 5 lug swap on all 4 wheels or have 4 lug in the front and 5 lug in the back, i wouldn't do it

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am trying to source some parts for this conversion.

I have found a wrecker with this available, am I going in the right direction?

[FONT=&quot]
My information shows most parts the same, but not all. The Control Arms on the EL are different then the SIR.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Not sure about brake cables and lines.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rear suspension assy (less struts) from the SIR are $300.00 each.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Same from the 01-02 EL is $250.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Can't say for sure that the brake lines are still intact, but if they are we would include them.[/FONT]

Thank you for your help.

·
Resident Photochopper
3,604 Posts
i believe you get better stopping power with the drum than disc on the rear. so no need to change it out, unless you just want it for the looks. you dont want it just for the looks do you?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I want it for looks and I have to get service done on the the rear drums as they are in bad shape. I thought I would kill 2 birds with one stone.

·
The Almighty
25,301 Posts
From my understanding this is totally possible to do. Only diff is that its 5 lug instead of 4.

Bassacwards I don't know where u get ur info but that's silly. If drums stopped better than disc we would all be running 4 wheel drum still. But since that stopped in the 70s we all know that not to be the case

·
Hi I'm _Daniel_
6,235 Posts
How? Is it because we are a FWD Config and benifit more from a stronger braking force up front for weight transfer and such?

Explain...
drums are lighter. the rear only does about 30% of braking anyways, on any car, due to physics.

Bassacwards I don't know where u get ur info but that's silly. If drums stopped better than disc we would all be running 4 wheel drum still. But since that stopped in the 70s we all know that not to be the case
discs are generally easier to maintain. size for size, a drum can be just as effective if not more effective in terms of braking distances, vs a disc setup. but for consistent aggressive braking, discs have extremely better heat dissipation, thats why drums were phased out, at least in the front of car's braking system

·
Resident Photochopper
3,604 Posts
ill run around and find out where i got the info. it was from a reputable source i just forget but remember looking into it. we could do a 60-0 side by side :dunno:

·
Resident Photochopper
3,604 Posts
found this on edmunds, kinda what i was reading.

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/techcenter/articles/43857/article.html
Drum vs. Disc: Today

In today's automotive pantheon, it's not uncommon to find four-wheel disc brakes as standard equipment on medium-priced, non performance-oriented models. The majority of new vehicles, however, continue to utilize a front-disc/rear-drum brake setup. What does this say about the current state of braking systems? Are these manufacturers sacrificing vehicle safety in order to save a few bucks by installing disc brakes on only the front wheels?

While a "yes" answer would certainly be great for increasing Town Hall traffic, the truth is that today's disc/drum setups are completely adequate for the majority of new cars. Remember that both disc and drum brake design has been vastly improved in the last 20 years. In fact, the current rear drum brake systems on today's cars would provide better stopping performance then the front disc setups of the '70s. And today's front disc brakes are truly exceptional in terms of stopping power. Combined with the fact that between 60 and 90 percent of a vehicle's stopping power comes from the front wheels, it's clear that a well-designed, modern drum brake is all that's required for most rear wheel brake duty.

High performance cars like the Viper, 911 and Corvette can justify a four-wheel disc brake system, especially if their owners participate in some form of sanctioned racing activity on the weekends. The rest of us get more of a benefit from the lower cost of drum brakes. Expecting every vehicle built today to come with four-wheel disc brakes would require an across-the-board increase in purchase price, and that could stop new car buyers much quicker than any brake system.

p.s. of course most performance cars will benefit from 4 wheel disc, but in terms of swapping out a civics drums for disc may be just a looks thing. i think we've been brainwashed to thinking disc are better because they look better. kinda like slotted rotors, at first glance you could say they are better but in actuality if your not running a brake duct than its a no no.

input appreciated.

·
The Almighty
25,301 Posts
mostly what they are saying is taht drum brakes are way more cost effective since they last over 100k miles on most cars, and discs usually dont last but maybe 2/3 of that. rear disc effectiveness has a lot to do with pressure balance on the master cylinder by use of a proportioning valve or distribution block. the more power u have the more braking u are going to want. so while a standard civic driver, on the street will nto "need" rear drums, anyone with upgraded power(not just IHE), or anyone who is going to sanctioned events(ie autocross) is going to want upgraded clamping force. sure drums are effective in some situations, but by and large lthey are being done away with by the large companies. Ford and mazda for example(i work for them) have done away with drums almost completly, almost all their vehicles have rid of drum brakes(partly for looks, partly for performance(mazda likes to call themselves a performance company)

discuss

·
Hi I'm _Daniel_
6,235 Posts
well brake balance through the ppv is determined based on weight distribution and initial handling characteristics wanted from the vehicle. unless you are using a variable ppv and know how to tune a cars handling, you could end up increasing braking distances or severally hurting the overall handling of the car.

its more like psi in the system vs increase in weight (unspring weight mostly). not increase psi when increasing HP. If you can still lock up your brakes, youre running enough pressure in the brake lines. pad compounds and brake fluid have a greater effect on braking than increasing clamping force. the pads can vary at which temperatures they bite at. for a track event you want something that peaks at a high temp. while autox you want something that will bite at a low temp and not necessarily a pad that has to work at a high temp such as the track pad.

anything performance is going to want discs because of the easier heat dissipation. on that note Ive also heard that an ABS and TCS (using brakes for stability) systems works much more efficiently on a disc setup; something standard on about every production car nowadays

·
Registered
60 Posts
everybody knows that rear discs brakes are better than drums. better braking, better looks, etc. etc. etc. no matter if think that are needed or not...

If you can make the type s rear brakes fit on the civic, you take hubs and discs to machine shop in order to drill the 4-lugs... both conversions, 4-to-5 and 5-to-4, are commonly

·
Resident Photochopper
3,604 Posts
everybody knows that rear discs brakes are better than drums. better braking, better looks, etc. etc. etc. no matter if think that are needed or not...

If you can make the type s rear brakes fit on the civic, you take hubs and discs to machine shop in order to drill the 4-lugs... both conversions, 4-to-5 and 5-to-4, are commonly
as discussed above you, unless your doing hard and often braking you dont need to goto disc. a lot of guys with civic's think they are looked down upon because they have drums so they feel less superior than someone with 4 wheel disc. It's still a toss up. If your going to auto-x your car than go with rear disc, but if your just doing normal street driving which about 95% of us are than rear disc are not needed. If you need rear disc to make yourself than by all means spend the money.

Your generalized statements of this subject are ridiculous.

·
Hi I'm _Daniel_
6,235 Posts
If your going to track your car than go with rear disc
fixed :rofl:

you dont really need discs for autox. if anything it will hinder your abilities to compete because it will bump you up into a class thats very competitive depending what club you run with. on a side note they really help with trail braking!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts