Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time has come for me to get some new brake pads, and I'm not entirely sure what I want to get. First, a little background. I'm looking for some specific advice, not just "My homeboy runs XXXXX pads and likes them." I'm going to autocross these pads about once a month, so overall stopping power at temperature is important, but they will also be street-driven, so a high lower-end operating temperature is out of the question. I want to be able to stop on cold mornings. While money is a concern, I'm willing to save up a few weeks to get something I'll love if it's worth it. Right now, my three options are normal Autozone pads (Duralast, etc), Hawk HPS, and Carbotech 1521s. The only thing the generic pads really have going for them is the price. The Hawks and Carbotechs are kind of in the same category. We're sponsored by Carbotech at work, so I can call in a favor and get them for roughly the same price as the Hawk pads. The Carbotech 1521s, for those not familiar with them, are a ceramic compound that are relatively easy on rotors compared to higher metallic compound pads. Part of the reason I want to run them. That, and the fact that paired with sticky tires the car will stop faster than Michael Jackson walking in to find Chris Hanson.

Reader's Digest version:

1. I need new pads.
2. Pads that stop fast.
3. Options: Generic, Hawk HPS, or Carbotech 1521.
4. Priorities are price and effectiveness, not necessarily in that order.
5. I can't decide.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
351 Posts
You may wanna take a look at EBC Pads. Im running red stuff ones all around and they grip great even when cold and just get better as the temp goes up... They make lots of dust and noise when new but after about 1k miles the dust isnt really any worse then stock pads. I still do get a tiny squeak sometimes on cold mornings but I LOVE them anyways.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jake come on, I've seen your car, does this really matter???
Hey now.

You may wanna take a look at EBC Pads. Im running red stuff ones all around and they grip great even when cold and just get better as the temp goes up... They make lots of dust and noise when new but after about 1k miles the dust isnt really any worse then stock pads. I still do get a tiny squeak sometimes on cold mornings but I LOVE them anyways.
I'll look into them, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Im in the same boat man looking for better braking options for auto-x. have you thought about a big brake kit? I was planning on getting the hawk hps because my cousin put them on his v-spec sentra and I felt a pretty big difference between those and his oem ones. but I was also going to go with new slotted rotors and I was considering just going with bigger brakes. But I have heard nothing but good stuff about hawk pads...

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
have you thought about a big brake kit? I was also going to go with new slotted rotors and I was considering just going with bigger brakes.
Everyone I've ever talked to has said that a big brake kit is not necessary for these Civics unless they're full-on track wh0res. Temperatures just don't get high enough, and I know with stock rotors I don't have problems invoking ABS. The brakes aren't the weak link in my stopping ability.

A little birdy told me O'Reilly's started carrying Performance Friction pads, and I just confirmed. I may look into those.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
:werd:

I agree with this 100% :tup: I have them and love them... Will never run any other pad. :nono:

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
DAMN! I posted in an old thread... What a N00B.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts