Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just purchased my first civic with 122k miles. It however needs some work. The previous owner put a bad spring kit on it without camber adjustments and due to my location I need my car back up at stock height. The roads are terrible here.

These are my priorities:
  1. Stock height, please don't suggest I lower the car. The roads here are not conducive.
  2. Durability, I want parts that are going to last a long time. I prefer options that are as durable or better than the genuine honda parts. I don't want sagging springs or blown shocks after 4 years.
  3. Price, money is tight and the less I spend here the better.
  4. Comfort, I have modded other vehicles before. This is my daily driver. I want it to be fairly comfortable. I am willing to make small sacrifices for better performance but I need to make the main thing the main thing.
  5. Performance, I'd prefer to improve my performance if it is possible to do it within the constraints above.

What I am doing for sure:
  1. Replacing springs with stock height springs, preferably with progressive and slightly sportier than stock but stock would be ok. This will be a daily driver and I will likely never race it. I do, however, enjoy the twisty mountain roads and I love the feel of the tighter suspension. Are the stock springs progressive?
  2. Replacing the bushings with urethane. I have some stock bushings that are torn and the urethane seems like the best option.
  3. I'm not sure but the ball joints probably need to be replaced. Also, I'd prefer to avoid taking this all apart again as it is somewhat of a pain. Who makes the most durable option for a reasonable price?

Optional:
  1. New shocks. The stock ones seem ok but I am in there and perhaps it makes sense to change them out with something slightly sportier. Again, I do not plan on racing this thing.
  2. Other items that should be replaced given the mileage on my car. Can someone help with this?

Any help pointing me in the right direction as to what the best parts are considering my goals or what other parts should be serviced or replaced while I am in there would be greatly appreciated. I'm just not familiar with the honda world.

Thanks all, hopefully I'll have something to give back after this project.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here is my opinion on what you should run for a "sporty" OEM ride.

Energy suspension or prothane bushing set. The prothane kit is a bit more costly but includes a few bushings for the rear that the energy kit does not. Polyurethane will stiffen up things a bit and make steering a bit more responsive, and it will outlast the OEM rubber.

Alot of people here will swap out the rear sway bar for one off of a rsx-s. Its alot bigger in diameter, it stiffens up the rear end, and reduces body roll compared to our pencil sized stock one. If you go this route, there are two different sizes used on the rsx-s. 02-04 uses a 19mm, 05-06 uses a 21mm.

If your looking to keep some what stock height with slightly stiffer spring rates, id suggest getting a set of springs off a 02-05 civic si or a set of tein s-techs.

And if your going with a stiffer spring your going to want a strut that can handle it, which the stock ones will not, even if they are not leaking yet they will eventually and the ride will suck. Tokico blues seem to be every ones favorite for "better than OEM", or Koni now makes a strut (koni str.t) that are made for stiffer lowering springs and ive read they are comparable to Koni yellows on their softest setting.

And while your doing all of that work you might as well go ahead and replace the strut mounts, end links, ball joints, and tie rod ends.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, this all seems like pretty solid advice. I have a few questions:

Do either of the bushing kits allow for the larger sway bar in the rear or would I have to order those bushings separate?

How would replacing the rear sway bar affect oversteer/understeer balance? I haven't driven the car much but I'm guess the factory spec understeers significantly.

Are the Tein S-Techs and the Civic Si springs direct replacements for the stock spring?

Where are the best places to buy the Tokio Blues or honda parts in general?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Which ever bushing kit you go with, you will need to order separate. You will need to select which front sway bar bushing size you have though. 01-02 civic has 25.4 i think it was.... 03-05 has the 15.9

Factory does under steer, but that's what its designed to do. The larger rear combined with the smaller front usually aims more toward over steer to a degree.

The s-techs were made for our cars so yes they're direct replacements, and the si springs are the same as the ones on your car now but a tad stiffer.

There are some vendors on this site that also retail parts for our cars as well. Check them out, shop around. Rockauto.com is great for getting end links, strut mounts etc as long as you don't need the parts that day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts