Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shift lights are great. They help you to concentrate on quick shifting rather than eyeing the tach. IMHO they look retarded attached to those rediculously large tachometers :rolleyes: and out of place being mounted on the dash. Especially on a daily driven car :(

So i decided to conceal mine in the A/C Vent to keep things clean and rice free:D

I bought an Autometer 5340 Pro Shift Light. Instead of using the($25 a set) rpm pills; i decided to use a 10k ohm potentiometer and a simple molex connector from radioshack for about $3.00:up: If you cut one open; you will see that each rpm pill contains a cheap resistor:down:. They are not worth the $25! The potentiometer will serve as a variable resistor, it also comes with a knob for adjustment.

VIDEO:
quick vid of the shift light in action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dAUOfhXMcI

PICS:
potentiometer w/wires attached

pins from the molex connector connected to potentiometer wires

view of the shift light wedged in the a/c vent and blue wires running to the potentiometer

drilled a hole for the potentiometer and used the locking nut to secure it

end result!:up: trust me its bright! and easily adjustable!
OFF!

ON!

This shift light is easy to adjust. Its also very bright and visible in the day and nighttime. I set it to 3000rpm for daily driving and fuel economy and then back to about 8600 rpm for racing. You can turn the a/c vent in another direction if its to bright or simply turn it to an unreachable setting like 11k rpm if you want it off. Its well worth it:up: Accurate and consistant shifting pays dividends:

· Registered
1,596 Posts
LOL... Wow everyone... Feels like the "Playa Hata's Ball" up in here!! LOL HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE!!! Honestly I think shiftlights are retarded in any manner... But I gotta give Mad props for the Idea and the methods used! Its definitly clean, And im digging the lil Tach around the knob!! :tup: But like everyone else said, I know my car well enough to know when to shift. Smart thinking though!

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL you guys are funny. I see transformedBG understands because he has a engine swap. I have a engine swap aswell. I shift at about 8600rpm. I would rather keep my eyes on the road than on the tach. When i had the d17 it was much easier to shift by ear but with the k-series its different. The revs fly up faster and also when you hit the rev limiter it slows you down. Be a little more open minded.

Also the light doesnt bother me because if i dont want it set at 3000rpm i can simply adjust it to another rpm. If i get sick of seeing the light i can set it to an unreachable rpm like 10,000 or 11000rpm. Come on guys it would be better to think outside the box & stop hating you know its cool lol

· NW7thgen Crew
2,227 Posts
Good stuff man, I dont see why everybody is hating on it though.

I did the same thing in my mustang because I didnt want to mount the light on my dash, did the pot mod too :tup:

Where did you get that black piece with the rpm's written on it? Small tach gauge? How accurate are the numbers to the actual rpm?

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good stuff man, I dont see why everybody is hating on it though.

I did the same thing in my mustang because I didnt want to mount the light on my dash, did the pot mod too :tup:

Where did you get that black piece with the rpm's written on it? Small tach gauge? How accurate are the numbers to the actual rpm?

I got it off the back of a old ebay shift light i had laying around. And its pretty close in accuracy. But you have to increment it ever so slightly to hit the exact number. But really if im unsure of where i have it set, i simply do a datalog and check my shift points. Then i would know if i should incrementally increase or decrease it. Really simple to operate.

· K-Series Legend
2,388 Posts
LOL you guys are funny. I see transformedBG understands because he has a engine swap. I have a engine swap aswell. I shift at about 8600rpm. I would rather keep my eyes on the road than on the tach. When i had the d17 it was much easier to shift by ear but with the k-series its different. The revs fly up faster and also when you hit the rev limiter it slows you down. Be a little more open minded.

Also the light doesnt bother me because if i dont want it set at 3000rpm i can simply adjust it to another rpm. If i get sick of seeing the light i can set it to an unreachable rpm like 10,000 or 11000rpm. Come on guys it would be better to think outside the box & stop hating you know its cool lol
Dont worry i got your back.. I learned a lot just by watching Initial D :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.