Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So had my car intermittently hard to start and then wouldn’t start at all. Figured out the crankshaft position sensor was bad. Replaced it and car ran fine and starts good, except within a week it died and then started in limp mode and one time I floor boarded it and that sent it into limp mode. I was thinking about replacing the pigtail next. Never got a CEL light ever. Any suggestions?

2005 Honda Civic EX sedan. 161,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After a little full throttle the car went into limp mode again so while it was still in limp mode I scanned he obd2 and got crankshaft sensor and the EVAP code. So I guess I will change the crank pigtail to rule that out and start looking for a leak on the EVAP system.

Does anyone know if there is anyway to just bypass it? Can i put a resistor in or something and plug some lines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
While I have replaced the crank sensor(and it's a real pita to get to!), I've been lucky not to have seen limp in on either of my civics so far. What does your car do different when this happens?

If limp in is the car dropping into second gear like it was on my dodge caravan then I'd look for a possible a tcm(transmission control module) issue(if these cars even have that seperate anymore.. On that caravan it never showed a cel or gave any codes, but you sure knew when it happened on the interstate!

Considering the difficulty of that crank sensor repair it's very possible that you have a loose connection or some other mishap doing the job that could be responsible for this new problem. You should have a real good look for any sensors or wires that aren't locked in well. Also look for any wire loom that is damaged or out of place while you are in there, and make sure the engine to chassis ground strap is in good shape and connected. You might also try doing a full reset by taking the negative battery terminal off for a while.

Sorry I don't have any more direct help to give on that one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts