Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner
81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
I Quit, So What?
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Ok well might as well get this out on the table. Mark decided to take a spare ect sensor and unplug the one in the block. The new one had been inside so it was nice and warm. He plugged it in and left it hanging. The car had been sitting all night and was under 20 degrees. With the ect sensor hanging and reading a temp well above 30 degrees and the motor being under 20, he said the car started right up like it does stock or during the spring/summer. So Mark thinks there's a glitch in kpro in our d17 calibrations. He also said something about a double spark when the temps drop below 30 degrees. I'll let him explain that one more in depth.

·
Registered
148 Posts
yea i figured this out a while ago and actually how ive been starting my car for a while now. I just hold a torch to the thermostat housing for about 30 secs then hop in and it fires right up. It sucks but i know I can have my car started in a minute if I have to

·
Registered
888 Posts
yea i figured this out a while ago and actually how ive been starting my car for a while now. I just hold a torch to the thermostat housing for about 30 secs then hop in and it fires right up. It sucks but i know I can have my car started in a minute if I have to
Lol get some funny looks when you do this?

·
Kenbo's build..Built Head
2,284 Posts
ok so I have been reading threw this...since I have my kpro and just waiting on the cam gear..I want to learn as much as I can before I install it....

The kpro I bought was off of 02-04 rsx...so what will I have to do to get this map off of there and upload the base map?????

Also I really hope this gets fixed..I live in Buffalo, NY its under 30 I would say 40-50 days a year if not more...so imma have this problem a lot???

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
So basically, warm up the block, ect sensor, or thermostat

or jump start
or push start
or add a shit ton of fuel

Seems like we have a lot of angles

·
Registered
389 Posts
alright well ive been waiting to post here once I heard from Hondata (as well as everyone here with the problem to call too) to have a fix for this but because it hasnt been cold enough really outside here just yet after I found the problem that I havent been able to get a good datalog (thats what they requested) to Hondata, so ill tell ya what I found.

It isnt the ECT sensor that is the problem but it comes when the ECT sensor reads below 30 as most of you know. and im not sure if this is for everyone the same scenario when cranking but at least what I found it happen to my car below 30. apparently when it hits under 30, the ECU fires the spark plug on the combustion stroke and on the opening of the intake valve. basically it kills itself as you crank over and over. I notice this when my IAT sensor was rising as I cranked and when I opened the Throttle during cranking, it raised faster. did a spark plug test when under 30 while cranking and seeing how many times it was sparking during its cycle and it was 2 per cylinder. so I tested it after it was sitting in the garage to let it warm up and when the ECT was over 30, tested spark, and it was only when it needed to be, as well it fires right up. so im sure the settings that most are using for cold crank with injector pulse are good, or at least the numbers in other calibrations are fine, but with this glitch, it wont matter which way you go with them. so my fix was as Bryan stated, having a spare ECT sensor with you, when reading is below 30, unplug it while cars off, plug in spare sensor, turn the key and go for it. let it warm up, turn off car, plug back in once its over 30. now I havent tested to see when you just unplug it what it will do because it defaults to 170 or something I believe, obviously with an CEL but idk if it read it as it is 170 and if it will start but ill try it next time its under 30.

most important tho, for those who havent called, CALL:pisschair: you paid this much, it should work right. tuning of course is on you and your tuner, but a tuner cant go around a glitch in the software. Of course I would say get a datalog while your at it cause Hondata will just tell you they need that before anything but at least they can see and say that its not “the first time they heard about this problem” answer.

·
Shake and Bake
489 Posts
good fix. when i was cranking in 19F temp the inj pulse was in the 60's or 30's but well above where it should be and this explains it

·
I Quit, So What?
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
K, found a simple fix to the problem. Got this from Paul (Bomerman19) about 1-2 months ago. When you get ready to start it, prime the car 4-5 times to get fuel in the injectors. Tonight it was 16 degrees out and it had been sitting for 8-9 hours. She spun over and fired right up like a champ. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
am i the only one that finds if i let my car sit 2-3 weeks without starting my map goes bad? like for real. I let my car sit for 3 weeks went to start it and it was all fail. uploaded the map again with only minor changes and it fired up right away at ect like 28. my dad said he went out to start it the other day when it was hovering around freezing and nothing. so i guess we'll see what happens when i go home next weekend.

·
Shake and Bake
489 Posts
the longer i let mine sit the better. if i let it go for a week it starts up like a champ no problem.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I havent tested it since last year.... i'll try to crank her when i get home today... see if it still does it.... but i'm fairly sure it isnt just some setting you can change... cause its specific to 32 degrees.... 32.. cranks all day but wont start.... 33 degrees... fires up perfectly... everytime....

81 - 100 of 106 Posts