Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey 7thgenhonda,

I've recently become the owner of a 2005 civic lx coupe. So far the car has been great, all I've done is replaced the stock shift knob with a replica ITR knob, new security system and installed a new JVC deck with ipod adapter. Attached are some pictures of me test-fitting Rota Slips with RT-615's (before you comment on the wheel gap and how i need a drop asap lol) they are no longer on the car. For now the car is rolling on stock SI fat-fives. I plan on keeping the car relatively stock as I'm finishing up my last year in university and the roads around my school apartment are absolutely rutted. I will try and get better pics this weekend after some much needed TLC.

One problem that I've come across is a suspension clunk from the front right side while pulling right into my driveway. It sounds as if something might be loose. Associated with my steering also pulls very slightly to the right. From all the searching I've done, I think it may be either swaybar endlinks or my ball-joints that may be toast. Has anyone else come across these problems? Maybe I should come out to a square one meet to see if anyone can diagnose the problem.

Hope to have a great time on this site,
Derrick

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey hey welcome to the site - Ride looks nice!

Clunking I think could be your ball joint.. and the pulling could be alignment / ball joint issue as well...
although I couldn't say for sure or not...

Hope you enjoy the site!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Welcome to 7th Gen!

The problem might be your stablizer link. They were out in time. I had to replace my rear ones last month.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Come to the meet. Remind all of us what stock height looks like. (Except Tony, he knows it all too well!!!!)

But yeah, seriously, come to the meet. We'll be able to diagnose your sound there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. I'd love to come out to a meet but I'm in Waterloo during the week and only go back to Mississauga for random weekends. I'll be sure to make it out to at least one meet this summer. I drove by square one a couple of weeks ago on a saturday or a sunday night and there was a MASSIVE jdmr meet...anyone from here end up going?

The problem might be your stablizer link. They were out in time. I had to replace my rear ones last month.

Did you have a similar clunking noise coming from your front suspension? Also if you don't mind me asking, how much were the repairs?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Hey , welcome on the board derrick.

Problem might be the upper strut mount , it could be cracked. :dunno:

·
NOTT BAD
4,039 Posts
welcome fellow 7thgen!

yeah come out to the meet so you can meet new people.

you should go check get your car checked out by a mechanic...btw that pulling problem you have maybe solve by an alignment

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hey man welcome to the site! You should definately come check out the meets whenever you can make it.

Come to the meet. Remind all of us what stock height looks like. (Except Tony, he knows it all too well!!!!)
haha:bowrofl: Finally Im not the only NON lowered car :pisschair: but that will change soon!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Did you have a similar clunking noise coming from your front suspension? Also if you don't mind me asking, how much were the repairs?
I'm 75% sure that's the problem. Does it clunks and creeks when ever you hit a bump or when you slowly accelerating or backing up?
The repair will probably run you around $300 parts included. I bought my stabilizer links at Honda for $100 (comes in a pair) and my brother put it on for me. I'm guessing it's about a 2 hour job and Honda charges over $100/hr.

·
Milk and Cookies 24/7
912 Posts
ur right front wheel needs to be jacked up off the ground to check the suspension components. worn stab links, balljoints, tie rods, control arm bushings will all clunk when u hit a bump

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After reading this thread on honda-tech:

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2232143&highlight=stabilizer+end+links

and following up on some of your suggestions I decided to take a look at my suspension. I'm fairly confident that my passenger side front stabilizer end-link is the problem, there seems to be some sort of thick gunk coming from the side end link. I've attached some pics of what I'm talking...The first pic is the driver's side (good), 2nd and 3rd pic are the "goo" that I'm talking about. Is it detrimental to the car if I drive around with a blown end link? or if I can deal with the annoying sound is it something I can put off for a little while?

Thanks again guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I have had squeaking noises from the front. I recently installed tein springs (wanted the 1" modest drop, just to reduce the wheel well hell gap).

While doing the spring install, I noticed my front left tie rod end (what you are showing on your pics) had a rip, with grease coming out. I replaced it (partsource, $50). That is "one" clunking noise that has gone away =)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have had squeaking noises from the front. I recently installed tein springs (wanted the 1" modest drop, just to reduce the wheel well hell gap).

While doing the spring install, I noticed my front left tie rod end (what you are showing on your pics) had a rip, with grease coming out. I replaced it (partsource, $50). That is "one" clunking noise that has gone away =)
Awesome, thanks for the info. Are you running the tein lowering springs with stock shocks? If so, how do you find the ride? Do you worry about your shocks blowing?

·
Milk and Cookies 24/7
912 Posts
to check if your tie rod end is worn wiggle your wheel side to side and look for play of the tierod on the strut. or you can get someone to wiggle the wheel side to side while you put your hand on the tie rod end to feel for any play. If there is play it is recommended to be replaced since there is zero play allowed on it.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the info. Are you running the tein lowering springs with stock shocks? If so, how do you find the ride? Do you worry about your shocks blowing?
i'm on tein h-techs. the drop is very small, around an inch all around. just what i wanted and i'm really happy with the outcome. i did not want to drop it any more than that and have issues winter times etc, or invest in camber kits, etc.

the springs are very soft, feel like stock springs. i'm running them on stock struts. ride is comfortable than ever. yes, i do worry about my struts blowing, but its a very small drop and while doing the spring installation, i checked the struts and they seemed okay. even if they do blow, i've got 160k on this car already, i would invest in new struts in a heart beat.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts