Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner

EGR DTC

8K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  Lovehatehonda718 
#1 ·
Long post- get your coffee, I just want to make sure I put it all out there.

I have been wrenching on the side for about 40 yrs. so I do know a little bit. I am working on an '04 civic DX with the 1.7 A1 engine. Customer had overheat and cracked the head. Price was cheaper to buy a used engine so we did. Install went fine other than the replacement engine was NON EGR. I swaped the egr assembly from the blown motor to the replacement. I paid attention to the EGR passages in the head and made sure it was good and clear. Car ran like a Honda should for a day and a half. EGR FLOW DTC showed up and we figured that since the head and the asembly were clean the valve itself or the pressure diff sensor was bad..Bought a new EGR valve and reset the light using my Innova 3140 code reader. Light came back on. Question is why? When I swaped engines I used the intake from the blown engine and I cleaned the passages in the plate that attaches to the head. I did use some "ultra copper" on the crush gasket, Is it possible that these passages are that sensitive to flow and I may have got some sealant in the "slot"? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

and BTW THANKS TO RHCP0801 FOR FIXING THE POSTING ISSUE!!

#5 ·
yeah, when I had the "new" engine on the stand, I cleaned both sides of the head with a pointed scraper and then sprayed carb spray and then blew compressed air, so I knew that there was flow from one side of the head to the other. Figured I better check that because the replacement was NON egr.

#7 ·
Pic of EGR plate

This is the plate that sits between the intake and the head. there is a round hole in the head for the exhaust gas to flow into and then it goes through the machined grooves in the plate shown. The ends match up to the ports on the head and it seems like there is very little space for flow. Since the gasket there is a "crush" gasket, is it probable that when I used a very little protion of "ultra copper" RTV, that I wasn't supposed to use any at all? The intake has 4 oval rubber rings that seal it to the plate.

#10 · (Edited)
I think I will try to remove the intake and the EGR plate and then reassemble without using any sealant. I have been doing this way for LOTS of years and have never run into this issue. Guess I will get a new crush gasket too.

#13 ·
UPDATE

Well I took the day off of work to fix this issue. After ordering the gasket set from the local parts house. I went and picked up the "fel Pro" set. got it home and realized it didn't have ANY egr passage provision. Went to the dealer and got the factory gasket and all is good now. I have used FelPro gaskets for years and I never would have guessed that it was that different than the factory one.

#17 ·
Sorry to bump a really old post. Haveing the same exact issues as OP . Same exact situation. Bought a used jdm engine non vtec non egr to swap into my non vtec egr engine 05 lx.
Bought a new egr swapped all the parts from the old egr engine onto the new engine.

Keep getting the p0401 code.

Which manifold gasket do i need to get and/or steps i need to do to get rid of my cel

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.