6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tools Needed:
Jack
Jack Stands
17mm Socket
Adjustable Wrench
Breaker Bar (optional)
Tie Rod End Separator (pickle fork, ball joint remover, etc)
Lube

Replacement Parts:
2 cotter pins
Tie Rod Ends P/N: 53541-S5A-003
Tie Rod End Lock Nut P/N: 94030-10080

1. Loosen the lug nuts of the front wheels and jack up the car. Place the car on jack stands and remove the wheels.
2. Measure the distance from the tie rod end to the end of the tie rod threading so you can return the tie rod end closest to its original setting.

3. Spray the lock nut and tie rod end with PBBlaster or another penetrating oil. Let it sit for a few minutes.
4. Loosen the lock nut on the tie rod by turning it clockwise.

5. Remove the cotter pin from the tie rod end.
6. Remove the 17mm lock nut from the tie rod end.
7. Remove the tie rod end from the pitman arm.

8. Unscrew the tie rod end. You may need to hold the tie rod with a wrench if it is rusted on.
8. Screw on the new tie rod.
9. Replace the tie rod end in the pitman arm (may need to apply pressure with a scissor jack) and torque the 17mm lock nut to 33ft/lbs.
10. Install a new cotter pin.

11. Adjust the toe so the tie rod end is close to the distance you measured earlier. Turn the tie rod counter clockwise for more toe out, clockwise for toe in. Really tighten down the lock nut!

12. Replace the wheels and torque them to the correct specs.
13. Remove jack stands and lower the car.
14. You will most likely need a toe adjustment.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Nice write up!

but why don't you just count how many times you turn the tie rod end to remove it off the actual rod and apply it to the new one instead of measuring?

why did you replace your ends anyways? as long as they weren't torn or anything i wouldn't change them

·
Hi I'm _Daniel_
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice write up!

but why don't you just count how many times you turn the tie rod end to remove it off the actual rod and apply it to the new one instead of measuring?

why did you replace your ends anyways? as long as they weren't torn or anything i wouldn't change them
i dont have the patience to sit there and count the rotations until it comes off lol i changed mine b/c i installed rsx struts so i needed to install rsx tie rod ends. the install pics were from our other car, which had a cracked boot (in the pic). cracked boot=grease escaping, no grease=bad joint! plus i figured ppl who install itre or rsx coilovers could use it.

nice diy +1. i need to replace mine too. i've had my new tie rod end for almost 2 years now... lol
thanks. you might be able to just replace the boot and no the whole end too

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
well, i striped it when i did my first spring install. luckily it was just at the tip before the cotter pin, so i just sanded it off. it's still a pain to put the nut on, but once it's in it not such a big deal.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
well, i striped it when i did my first spring install. luckily it was just at the tip before the cotter pin, so i just sanded it off. it's still a pain to put the nut on, but once it's in it not such a big deal.
tierod end seperator ftw! ;)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'm attempting the above DIY. The lock nut and the stem itself are stuck really bad. tried heating, even that didn't work well.

btw, for the lock nut : the photo right after step 4, shows the red arrow rotating 'clockwise', while the text reads 'counter clockwise'.
Can someone clarify this?

I know in some cars, the driver side is 'counter clockwise' while the passenger being 'clockwise'. Not sure whats the case with our em2s.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
since there is regular threading on our tie rods, the lock nut had to be rotated clockwise to give slack to the tie rod end.

thanks for correcting the image and your help metalviper :tup:

·
Registered
725 Posts
oh my bad, wat i meant is by replacing your tie rod end. Will that improve your handling or what bennefits will it provide? I hope that is much more easier to understand.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
yeah you definitely need an alignment after removing the tie rod end, counting the threads or measuring is just to get you by for a few days till you can get to an alignment shop

1 - 20 of 49 Posts