Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
K-Series Legend
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay first off before your start, you have to understand that this isn't an easy task. A lot of time, energy, and money went into the process of installing this supercharger.

To begin you are going to need a garage or somewhere that you can easily walk around the car, every tool you can think of, and the kitchen sink.

Main tools:
10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 15mm, 17mm, 19mm, 32mm : wrenches and sockets
Breaker bar
Screwdrivers: Philps and Flathead
Pliers:Various assortments

1) Order and receive all parts you are going to need for the install:

a) 1- 02-04 Si Supercharger kit

*Note an RSX blower may be used but will require a lot of modification to the radiator and radiator support system, as well as possibly the hood*

B) Race header & Intake manifold gasket

*The quicker you can get air to leave the motor the less boost you will have to run and the more hp you can make*

c) Fuel injectors
- i used 650cc
*The more hp you make the bigger the injectors you will need*

d) New clutch and flywheel:

*Note on any k-series car i would not suggest getting an ACT clutch and pressure plate combo, they have known problems. I recently upgraded mine to a Clutch Master Fx400 6puck*

e) Fuel Management System

*I would highly suggest K-pro, it is one of the best engine management systems around and there are a lot of great tuners for it! *

f) Larger crank Pulley and smaller Supercharger Pulley
and
*The larger crank pulley with smaller supercharger pulley will net you more boost in the end. My current set up is a k20a2 (6.0 diameter) Crank Pulley with a 3.8 diameter Jackson Racing Supercharger Pulley. *

g)There will be vairous other parts along the way but i will fill you in as needed.

2) Now its time to get started! (*YEAH THE FUN PART*)
  • Pull your car into the area you plan on working on it:

• Start by removing easy to acess parts such as: Intake, sway bar, headlights, and front bumper. And them move on to things such as belts and radiator.

*Be sure you cover any holes where dirt might be able to enter the motor. Remember Cleanliness is very important for a motor!*

• A good hint at this point is to disconnect your AC compressor from the motor and attach it somewhere out of the way, This way you wont have to vacuum and recharge the system after the install.
  • Once removing all Vacume, water lines, cables and such from the motor its just a matter of dropping the motor out of the car:

*your best bet is to drop it suspension and all. makes life really easy!*

• Once the motor is out its time to get down to the nitty gritty! First things first is to remove the Intake manifold, Power steering pump, alternator and water pump in preparation to receive the charger.

*You will note i have a belt on, in the second pick. That was to see if i would be able to keep power steering after the install of the charger. Just so you know now, the answer is NO! Unless you get an EPS *(electronic power steering)* System out of an 02-05 Si. *

• Now you can bolt up The supercharger. HELPFUL HINT: I you will have to simultaneously install the charger and the water pump at the same time. There is a small piece of metal on the Water pump that will prevent the charger from going on by its self (didnt get a pic of it :( sorry.)
  • Now would be a good time to install the Injectors as well

*Now would be a good time to change your Thermostat as a preventative measure. I replaced mine with a Mugen Thermostat.*
  • Now once you have the Supercharger securly bolted on, with manifold gasket in place, you can now start attaching the Alternator, Throttle body, hoses, and sensor's around the supercharger.
  • Optional step: i would suggest that you do it. At this time, since your motor is already out of the car, i would suggest you upgrade that week stock clutch, and heavy flywheel for something that should hold up to the amount of boost you can produce.
  • First remove the transmission from the motor its self exposing the clutch and flywheel.*You do not have to remove the motor from the subframe, but at this point you could repaint your frame if you wanted to.*

*Yes that is a home made engine stand, and as you can see it works. You don't have to buy every tool out there to work on your car, just be 10% smarter than what you are working on!*

• Now install the new flywheel and clutch!

·
K-Series Legend
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
  • Now you can start to re-assemble the transmission to the motor, and subframe aw well as add you header.

*Note: You can use the stock civic sway bar but you will have a knock from the sway bar hitting the header.*

• Wow your getting close to being done! :) once the motor is fully assembled, connected to the subframe, and looking pretty, the next step is getting it back in the car!

*Note: That is also a home made cherry picker! lol, Maybe i should make DIY's on those too lol... But anyways if the car is out side just make sure you cover it. That pinto in the background is in the process of getting a mustang 5.0 motor in it lol.*

• Now you just have to reinstall your suspension. (upgrade if you wish)

• Once all this is done, it is now a pushable car and you can move it back inside where it is safe and sound! :) So you can put everything back together: Radiator, AC, New Grounds, lights, bumper and everything else you can think of.

• Now you can install your k-pro and upload a basic .kal file to get the car to fire and make sure you have no leaks, electrical problems, or what ever else.

Note: You do NOT have to remove the dash to install the k-pro i just was using it to clarify where i placed mine.

Note 2: My k-pro is actually placed in a D17a2 ECU case. I took the k-series PRC ECU out of the k-box and placed it in my D-series ECU box prior to sending it to hondata.

Feel Free to PM me with any questions that you have... I will have to add some other DIY's to this later *when i finish writing them up.* thanks for looking

·
Registered
86 Posts
Holy shit. hands down. Looking good,how much power will you be pushing with that bad boy?

·
K-Series Legend
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
K-Series Legend
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Total Spent on civic = 12,000 ish?
the cost up to this point = same amount as an RSX if you supercharged it.. Plain and simple.

provided you didnt do any mods to the D17

·
Want To Ride My Trike?
6,330 Posts
bump! still running the same numbers? this really is badass....

·
Want To Ride My Trike?
6,330 Posts
yumm!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I WISH I HAD THE MONEY TO DO TAT.!!!! GREAT JOB MAN:bowrofl:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Very nice write up man! thought u'd be making more hp than that thou...wish i had the resources to do a build like that...too bad u wrecked it :pisschair: lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
nice write up, have a couple more questions

You said you cannot keep power steering with this setup, by getting the rsx JRSC and cutting the rad suport to make it fit, would i be able to have power steering without swtiching to EPS ?

Also, do you think this mode is possible without pulling the engine out ? I already have a stage 2 clutch, only planing on replacing the current itr IM with the JRSC. Possible to do with engine in the bay ?

(sorry if these are stupid questions, i just started looking into superchargers)

·
Premium Member
12,397 Posts
doesn't matter when the thread was made, it is a DIY.

to answer your questions it is possible to put the sc on without pulling the motor

1 - 20 of 22 Posts