Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Lurker
668 Posts
One thing I would like to add to that DIY (even though its old and from civic forums) is an easier way to install the rear shocks. Instead of pushing with an allen on the end of the bottom bolt that attaches the strut to the control arm, it is way easier to disconnect the endlink from the rear sway bar (if you have one) as well as disconnect the single horizontal bolt that attaches the brake disc to the camber arm. By removing these it makes it super easy to not only uninstall the rear shocks, but makes it significantly easier to reinstall the shocks.

Oh and just rent a tie rod separator from autozone or kragen. It's free so get it and save yourself some trouble. Get the one that has a bolt that pushes on the bottom of the tie rod. Way easier then the one you hammer in, just be sure it's competely centered and turn slowly to make sure it will pop the tie rod out instead of shifting and pushing up the edges to warp the threads.

·
Premium Member
12,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just used a screwdriver to push the bolt through as someone else was unbolting the bolt, it was very easy and the tie rod process in the DIY is also easy...i have lowered 3 cars and no problems yet

·
Lurker
668 Posts
How do you get the rear shock/spring back in? Mine and turbos was always way hard to get back in so we had to either put a jack under the strut to compress it or disconnect the camber arm and endlinks.

·
Registered
761 Posts
How do you get the rear shock/spring back in? Mine and turbos was always way hard to get back in so we had to either put a jack under the strut to compress it or disconnect the camber arm and endlinks.

Have a friend stand on the rotor as you slide the shock/spring assembly into place

·
Premium Member
12,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea everytime i did someone had to be standing on the control arm while the other person was trying to push the bolt through, now im not fat and neither are my friends so each time i lowered the car we had to be jumping up and down lol

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
yea everytime i did someone had to be standing on the control arm while the other person was trying to push the bolt through, now im not fat and neither are my friends so each time i lowered the car we had to be jumping up and down lol
yeah i trusted my life trying to get that back bolt on your car and my car twice, i left my life in the hands of 35 dollar pepboy jack stands lol

·
Premium Member
12,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea haha had my life in the hands of those things too lol, those cheap things have served us well though lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
LOL I used this ghetto compressor and used a jack to pry down the control arm in the back. Kinda of a scary day that day.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
gettin them out was easy for me... i just unbolted the one bolt at the bottom and then the two on top, then i used a screw driver to knock it off. when putting them back on i used a jack and a socket to raise the strut high enough so that i could align it with the hole and... walah! did it more than 5 times by myself...

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
gettin them out was easy for me... i just unbolted the one bolt at the bottom and then the two on top, then i used a screw driver to knock it off. when putting them back on i used a jack and a socket to raise the strut high enough so that i could align it with the hole and... walah! did it more than 5 times by myself...
i always do it the same way with a jack and a socket

·
Premium Member
12,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you should still get a camber kit, if you lower your car 1" or 4" you should still get one

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
After using this DIY - I have one suggestion - get the tir rod seperator...
I mushroomed the end of the tie rod with the hammer and spent a whole day dremeling it down to get the nut back on there - tow truck was enroute to be repaired when it finally went back on.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts