Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Engineering Stud(ent)
405 Posts
i picked up a JDM DC5-R rear sway bar from a jdm importer for 80 bucks,
came w decent bushings and links! lol
i think the jdm dc5-R is 22mm? correct me if im wrong.
i installed it, but i dont really feel the difference...(may be i dont take corners had enough):dunno:
Yup, You're a pansy!

·
Registered
41 Posts
^ there was a thread on this guy installing it upside down and car actually sat higher, might wanna refer to some installed pics and see if yours match

·
Registered
11 Posts
Since the images are dead...

Figured I'd add to this. There is some good info above that I recommend all to read. I know it's an easy job, but I figured I'd help encourage some people to do it. It took me about 45 minutes to replace my stock sway with the 21mm RSX sway, but I had spent a bit of time releasing the RSX endlinks so that I could clean it with a wire brush and paint it.

TOOLS:
14mm wrench
17mm wrench or ratchet
Some metric allen wrench...
PBlaster (or something)

First up, make sure your (likely rusty) RSX-S rear sway is clean and painted. It is going to get knicked up anyway, but you might as well start of with minimal rust.

You'll want to remove the endlinks, and I suggest you get some new ones to make the most out of your new sway. I'm cheap, and the bushings on the ones that came with my sway were in half decent shape, so I kept them.

As above, step one is coat the thing in PBlaster (or WD-40 if you don't have something good), let it sit, then wrench it off while keeping the center of the bushing firm with an allen wrench. I had to blast the hex hole a few times and work the rust out of it.

Next, put your car on jack stands in the back, remove the wheels.

(insert mental image of car on jack stands... without rear wheels. NOT ON JACKS!)

Now, hit all the bolts you're going to be removing with PBlaster. You have 4 on the rear tie bar, and 1 on each side attached to the lower control arm (or whatever that is that it attaches to, right next to the struts).

I don't know if there is a right order, but I loosened the brackets up so that I would have wiggle room once I detached the endlinks. (17mm wrench):

I then removed the endlinks:

PAY ATTENTION TO WHICH WAY THE BENDS ON THE STOCK SWAY GO! Also, note that the endlinks are right and left sided.

[/URL]
Hey, I tried this yesterday on my EM2 with a Type R sway bar from an EP2, it looks identical to your RSX, however there is no clearence on the left side, the sway bar is touching the lower control arm and makes a rubbing noise when driving, any sugguestions ?

·
Engineering Stud(ent)
405 Posts
All I can say is that you either installed it backwards/upside down, or its not quite identical...

I have no evidence that it won't fit, but I've never heard of anyone useing that EP2 sway before.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
wrong side up. take it off and flip it and you should be fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
wrong side up. take it off and flip it and you should be fine.
All I can say is that you either installed it backwards/upside down, or its not quite identical...

I have no evidence that it won't fit, but I've never heard of anyone useing that EP2 sway before.
Thanks guys, I thought it maybe on the wrong way, will have a go tomorrow and see how it goes, and if it does work, then we all know EP sway bars fit ! Just need to find me a bolt removal tool as the lower 2 bolts heads have rounded and makes getting it off a right pain

·
Registered
94 Posts
so would RSX-s sway bar be exactly the same as progress sway bar? or is one slightly better than the other? (sorry for noob question, im new to civics and hondas in general)

·
Registered
287 Posts
its been awhile but i believe there are two different sized RSX-S rear sway bars. It all depends on the year. The progress on is alittle bigger than either of them and it comes with the cool rear tie bar. Its probably one of the best upgrades I ever made.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I cant wait for this upgrade on a LX sedan I can imagine it makes a big difference!:coffee:

·
Registered
41 Posts
i think ive mentioned before,
i picked up a jdm dc5 R rear sway bar w end links for 80,
smth to consider as they are 22 mm and price is good:dunno:

21 - 38 of 38 Posts