Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, since my sway bar came in, and i have to mount it anyway,
its easy to take some pics and talk a bit about it, and this is for 7thgen only!

but don't blame me if you wreck anything of it doesnt work,
normally i you can take a tool and handle it this should be do-able.
And Beauty buys beware, you will get dirty and sweaty!

so here we go:
First thing to do is locate it on the car, quite obvious it's on the rear, take a look under the car you'll see it right there:

Now you where you can find it, jack up the car and put it safe on jack stands,
i always put my jack somewhere extra, just in case...

Now take the wheels of, if you have snake arms this is not neccesairy, but since i don't have that i took em of.

Now you're ready for the disasamble, you can do 2 things now,
get the end links loose, or get the bushings first,
i took the bushings of first, and that came out quite unhandy when taking of the second end link then, its your choice...

So assume you do the end links first:

yeah that's right it!

just get that nut of it, note that you need to place an alan key in the end so it doesn't spin.
Another good tip that i just did, is before you start, check out the thread on the bolts for rust, if they are rusty i'm pretty sure they will get stuck and you won't get them of.
So i took my dremel with a steel wire brush on it. just clean the thread a bit just to make things easy ;)

number 1 is loose,
now do the second one!

When you did both of these guys,
its time to take the bushings of

Yes those are these things:

Just unscrew them, should go without any issues

Now that you got it of, you make it meet with his big brother

Enough meeting,

next step:
Unscrew those 2 big guys you see left begind

When you unscrew em, stick something in the hole just to prevent to get the arms falling down

Looks nice heh?

Now prepare the tiebar for mounting,
bolt, washer tie bar, spacer

Now just mount this one, probably the arms will be dropped a little bit,
just move em around till you can get the bolts in there,
screw the bolt into it, but not on full tension yet

Now next step, take the new bushings and put some grease inside them,
apply also some grease to the side of the welded plates that prevent moving,
spin it a bit around the bar to get the grease spread,

Now just mount it with the 2 brackets onto the car,
should go without andy problems,
but dont put it on full tension yet.

Then get the endlinks back into them,
and screw it, with enough tension so it doesn't come loose,
should look like this then:

(took a pic under an angle, car is leveled!)

now, since i have a catback, i got the bar at the full fottom of the slide holes,
now get some tension on it so it doesn't come loose,
do this also for those 2 big guys.

Well, nice done you've just mounted your sway bar ;)
before lowering it back, check if all nuts and bolts are tightened well,
oh yeah, and don't forget to put your wheels back on ;)

All done:

Catback clearance (it's about a finger):

Now push it back and forth a bit to get it all in its position,

now take a shower to get fresh again and take it for a ride ;)

(ps: who wants full size pics contact me, i'll get them to you then ;))

·
Registered
918 Posts
sweet DIY dude, im planning on doing this pretty soon...question though, i went onto andys auto sport (website, duh) and they only had them for 01-03 em2s...would that fit an 04??:dunno:

·
Registered
400 Posts
nice diy :tup:

·
Registered
59 Posts
How much did the kit cost you?

·
Banned
2,822 Posts
nice write up, i wana do this in the future, r there dif types of bars or is progress just hands down the best?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nice write up, i wana do this in the future, r there dif types of bars or is progress just hands down the best?
there are dif types of bars, you can get one from an rsx, progress, and i guess some other brands, but after al it stays just a metal bar...

i just bought the progress bar because of the gray coated color (for techincal inspection)

·
Banned
2,822 Posts
there are dif types of bars, you can get one from an rsx, progress, and i guess some other brands, but after al it stays just a metal bar...

i just bought the progress bar because of the gray coated color (for techincal inspection)
thanks for you reply. im interested in the rsx one that would sound neat. but i have to read more because isnt this for taking tight corners and drivin hard like on a track? cuz i just take a turn like most people do. look both ways n turn. so the bar is going to.......

·
Registered
178 Posts
^Essentially, it reduces body roll hence why its also called and anti-roll bar, stiffens up the rear end. Keeps more tire on the ground, improves handling reponse and control. If you're not interested in improving performance for your driving, then it is kind of senseless mod.

Great DIY, I will likely reference this when I go to put mine on :tup:

·
Engineering Stud(ent)
405 Posts
So, since my sway bar came in, and i have to mount it anyway,
its easy to take some pics and talk a bit about it, and this is for 7thgen only!
Since the images are dead...

Figured I'd add to this. There is some good info above that I recommend all to read. I know it's an easy job, but I figured I'd help encourage some people to do it. It took me about 45 minutes to replace my stock sway with the 21mm RSX sway, but I had spent a bit of time releasing the RSX endlinks so that I could clean it with a wire brush and paint it.

TOOLS:
14mm wrench
17mm wrench or ratchet
Some metric allen wrench...
PBlaster (or something)

First up, make sure your (likely rusty) RSX-S rear sway is clean and painted. It is going to get knicked up anyway, but you might as well start of with minimal rust.

You'll want to remove the endlinks, and I suggest you get some new ones to make the most out of your new sway. I'm cheap, and the bushings on the ones that came with my sway were in half decent shape, so I kept them.

As above, step one is coat the thing in PBlaster (or WD-40 if you don't have something good), let it sit, then wrench it off while keeping the center of the bushing firm with an allen wrench. I had to blast the hex hole a few times and work the rust out of it.

Next, put your car on jack stands in the back, remove the wheels.

(insert mental image of car on jack stands... without rear wheels. NOT ON JACKS!)

Now, hit all the bolts you're going to be removing with PBlaster. You have 4 on the rear tie bar, and 1 on each side attached to the lower control arm (or whatever that is that it attaches to, right next to the struts).

I don't know if there is a right order, but I loosened the brackets up so that I would have wiggle room once I detached the endlinks. (17mm wrench):

I then removed the endlinks:

PAY ATTENTION TO WHICH WAY THE BENDS ON THE STOCK SWAY GO! Also, note that the endlinks are right and left sided.

After removing the stock sway, I... got a comparison pic:

Then attached (loosely) the "new" RSX-S sway:

And attached the endlinks loosely at first...

Then I tightened them up once I got both sides on.

Note how wrecked my bushings were...

·
Registered
88 Posts
nice man im doing this weekend. i have a question the sway bar that you used it's from what year rsx the one you r using? and what rsx you using rsx type s or the rsx non type s

·
Engineering Stud(ent)
405 Posts
I am not sure. I think it came from an 04 type S. 21mm. I think its the best one to get if you're not going with the progress one. I got mine for like $50 or 60 shipped.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i picked up a JDM DC5-R rear sway bar from a jdm importer for 80 bucks,
came w decent bushings and links! lol
i think the jdm dc5-R is 22mm? correct me if im wrong.
i installed it, but i dont really feel the difference...(may be i dont take corners had enough):dunno:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts