Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner

DIY: Carbon Fiber OverLay (not real CF)

20K views 67 replies 46 participants last post by  vikas2k 
#1 ·
Hey everyone So i was looking at the dash kits and been wanting one for a while but didnt have the money. So i decided to make my own.

Things you will need.
Philips Screw Driver
Flat Head screw driver or trim removal tool.
Razor Blade or exacto knife
Scissors (optional)
dish washing scrubbing thing...
Hair Dryer or heat gun ( with low temp setting )
CF overlay ( local auto store)

Start of with pulling out you vents, you can use a flat head screw driver to prep up the vent and then pull it out. try not to twist it too much from side to side to avoid breaking the side clips.

on the back of the vent there is a screw. Remove it with a Philips screw driver.

after that use something to unclip the 4 clips around the center of the vent this should make the rear section come of. After that pull the vent apart just a little and the middle piece should come out also. should look like this.

Take the outside of the vent assembly and placed it on the CF to trace out a piece of it. cut a little more than you need just so that you can have some room with work with and it also shrinks a little.

after that i used a dish washing scrubbie to slightly roughen the surface of the vent so that it would be easier to apply.

after that peel of the back of the CF and place it face down on a hard surface with the vent on top of it. use the exacto knife to cut of the extra material leave just a little on the sides. Can trim off later after shrinks.

flip back over and use a hair dryer on a low setting to warm up the cf. make sure you keep moving the dryer so that it does not over heat. After it gets pretty warm take away the hair dryer and use our hands to firmly press down the cf so that it sticks to the vent, let it cool down a bit. Doing just the top will prevent it from moving around when you are doing the rest of it.

use the exacto knife to cut out the little slots of the top of the vent.

Using the heat gun heat up the rest of the material and use your fingers to press it down firmly as you work down to the bottom of the vent. let it cool down before you continue about 1 min or so. after it cools use the exacto knife and cut out the middle and the bottom where the close/open sliding thing is. Take your time here you might have to heat it up again and press down firmly to keep it from having air pockets.

after this reassemble and put back into car.

do the same for the door panels.

cut out the excess and reassemble.

See less See more
#35 ·
Looks like you did a good job.. Still not feelin the check look. Doesn't really look like cf if u put it up next to real cf. Works good. Just not feelin that at all.

#48 ·
Sorry you guys I havent been checking this for a while...

I got it at a local pepboys. I am sure you can find better prices online though.

Looks great!! Anything else you wrapped the overlay with?
No I havent, I want to try actual cf though.

how did you get the material into the dips inside the window switch area? just apply heat? did it take much work to get it to conform?
I had to cut small slices and bend them down.

walmart carries some sort of cf overlay. has anyone tried that stuff or should i look for a better material?
Just make sure you roughen up the surface and heat it up well and it should stick just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.