Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright I have no idea what this is so maybe you guys can give me some ideas. Just recently at around 130,000 miles my ex started making a sort-of pinging/ humming/ tapping sound at around 3,000-3,200rpms. It hasn't gotten louder and I dont feel any effect from it but Im not sure what it is. Kind of sounds like a bolt rattling around in an exhaust flange or something with the harmonics of the engine at around the 3,000 rpms. Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated, thanks guys

Video of noise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5lRmcJdXiM

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah im going to replace the alternator belt this week cause it's squeaking and I doubt any of those bolts are loose cause I replaced it recently and I made sure they were all tight even a bit over spec. but thanks for the input I'm going to look at the other stuff you mentioned. Im going to take a video of the noise when is stops raining and then post it up.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Shit i have the same noise!!! I thought I had a loose bolt somewhere been looking all over the place.. Nothing. When or If you find out what it is pleaaaaaaaase let me know.

·
Team Amber Lamps
4,715 Posts
ok go with my analogy here lol

v represents the noise of the car acclerating
A represents the noise you are talking about at ~3100 rpms

is it something like this:

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvAAAAAAAAvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

does that make sense?

my car had that and i had to replace my while exhaust rocks had kicked in there and there were bends in the pipes

·
Team Amber Lamps
4,715 Posts
no lol im non vtec anyway

what im saying is it does it at this certain rpm but will snap out of it as you keep accelerating. if this is the real problem this guy will understand:rofl:

·
Registered
815 Posts
no lol im non vtec anyway

what im saying is it does it at this certain rpm but will snap out of it as you keep accelerating. if this is the real problem this guy will understand:rofl:
well my car makes the noise from 3000rpm - 3800rpm. Even if I lift off the pedeal and my revs drop it still makes the noise. I do have an aftermarket exhaust. What did you replace?

·
BIG NOOB!!!
612 Posts
i got that vtec

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok go with my analogy here lol

v represents the noise of the car acclerating
A represents the noise you are talking about at ~3100 rpms

is it something like this:

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvAAAAAAAAvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

does that make sense?

my car had that and i had to replace my while exhaust rocks had kicked in there and there were bends in the pipes

This is exactly how the sound is, it starts at about 3100 and stops around 3400 every time. I have stock exhaust right now, did you? that could be a possibility though. Im going to go record a video right now.

Oh, and excuse my lack of knowledge but what exactly is the harmonic balancer?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it's that pullley that makes evrything move
Yeah, not so much.

A harmonic balancer (also called crank pulley damper, crankshaft damper, torsional damper, or vibration damper) is a device connected to the crankshaft of an engine to reduce torsional vibration.
Every time the cylinders fire, torque is imparted to the crankshaft. The crankshaft deflects under this torque, which sets up vibrations when the torque is released. At certain engine speeds the torques imparted by the cylinders are in synch with the vibrations in the crankshaft, which results in a phenomenon called resonance. This resonance causes stress beyond what the crankshaft can withstand, resulting in crankshaft failure.
To prevent this vibration, a harmonic balancer is attached to the front part of the crankshaft. The damper is composed of two elements: a mass and an energy dissipating element. The mass resists the acceleration of the vibration and the energy dissipating (rubber/clutch/fluid) element absorbs the vibrations.

·
Pixel Overlord
4,629 Posts
check the heat sheilds around the exhaust b/c thats what it sould like to me. like bryce said you could of hit something and knocked your exhaust into a heat sheild.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
alright thanks, I'll check that cause from listening to it in different areas I can't hear it from the engine bay but its really loud when i get under the car and listen

1 - 20 of 24 Posts