Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I am in a spot of bother here. I recently had a rear camshaft leak and decided to replace the seal. Upon removing the thermostat housing I heard water running inside the engine. I thought this was just water filling an empty cavity. However, after checking my oil 3 days later I noticed it was milky.

Do I have a serious problem here or was I suppose to drain the coolant before removing the thermostat housing? My civic has the EGR valve behind the camshaft.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes you should drain the coolant if you have to pull that bit. I have had that same pesky leak. If you haven't had blowing water from the overflow and or oil in the in the radiator, white exhaust overheating or any other head gasket symptoms then I would say this is probably just an oops and changing the oil and filter should hopefully fix you up. I would do it before you drive again for sure though as coolant does not lube well at all.

On a 7th gen D series engine, the thermostat block is also the egr housing and uses a one time use crush gasket which you should replace if you have any other symptoms, especially the full overflow bottle.

Hope it works out okay!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@bLues_hawk Thank you my friend. You are absolutely correct, the water most be drained before removing the housing. Because the EGR valve's port is so close to the water port, I think when I cracked the housing loose water got into the EGR port, went down an open exhaust valve, down the cylinder and into the sump.
Lesson learned. Always remember to drain coolant if thermostat housing is to be removed.

I just finished a bunch of work on my EM2 and was worried I messed up. List of stuff I have done so far:
  1. Forged rods and pistons
  2. Hondata ECU
  3. AEM camgear
  4. Ebay turbo
  5. Disc brakes on the back(taken from Acura EL)
  6. D16y8 manifold
Photos coming soon.

·
Registered
48 Posts
@bLues_hawk Thank you my friend. You are absolutely correct, the water most be drained before removing the housing. Because the EGR valve's port is so close to the water port, I think when I cracked the housing loose water got into the EGR port, went down an open exhaust valve, down the cylinder and into the sump.
Lesson learned. Always remember to drain coolant if thermostat housing is to be removed.

I just finished a bunch of work on my EM2 and was worried I messed up. List of stuff I have done so far:
  1. Forged rods and pistons
  2. Hondata ECU
  3. AEM camgear
  4. Ebay turbo
  5. Disc brakes on the back(taken from Acura EL)
  6. D16y8 manifold
Photos coming soon.
I've been waiting for somebody to do that engine setup. Be sure to get a reasonable tune done and check those plugs regularly! White tips mean burned bits!(old school :p)
Nice! I've been trying to find info on that brake swap as drum brakes literally stink here in the mountains. What year EL did you use as the donor? I'm hoping to find a way to buy new bits and build discs for the back of my es2. I'll aim my searches in that direction and see what I can find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been waiting for somebody to do that engine setup. Be sure to get a reasonable tune done and check those plugs regularly! White tips mean burned bits!(old school :p)
Nice! I've been trying to find info on that brake swap as drum brakes literally stink here in the mountains. What year EL did you use as the donor? I'm hoping to find a way to buy new bits and build discs for the back of my es2. I'll aim my searches in that direction and see what I can find.
Yes the EM2 is an engine that did not get much love from the aftermarket community at all. I am hoping to get a reasonable tune as you stated. Thank you for the tip on checking the plugs. As for the disc brakes, I got the whole rear hub assembly from the 2001-2005 Acura EL. It is a straight up bolt on; no mods needed. Also get the e-brake cables from the Acura also when you get the disc assembly. The e-brake cables on the civic wont work with the Acura disc hub assembly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes the EM2 is an engine that did not get much love from the aftermarket community at all. I am hoping to get a reasonable tune as you stated. Thank you for the tip on checking the plugs. As for the disc brakes, I got the whole rear hub assembly from the 2001-2005 Acura EL. It is a straight up bolt on; no mods needed. Also get the e-brake cables from the Acura also when you get the disc assembly. The e-brake cables on the civic wont work with the Acura disc hub assembly.
You're welcome, and thanks for the info. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts