Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies, Gentlemen,

I tried searching for threads regarding this but actually found none. Found 1 through google but pretty usesless..

What are the pros and cons of using a full coilover vs spring/strut combo in terms of ride quality?

Other than ride quality, what other pros and cons? (Like coilovers you can adjust during winter time.. If this is even a concern??)

Please list whatever you have installed as well.

Hopefully responses are based on fact and personal experience and not on hocuspocus..

Thanks,

My Car Pics.: www.2003civicmods.blogspot.com

·
I love Greenie
14,505 Posts
It all depends what you want... You can have a very nice Spring/Strut setup, and you can have a very nice Coilover setup... Or you can have a Strut/Sleeved Coilover setup. There are plenty of routes you can go.

What are yourintentions? What do you want? Tracking it? Daily Driving? Need more info.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I, personally want a set-up for daily driver w/ nice (not bouncy ride) with the sporty look. Also worried about plowing the snow if I go too low..

That's my preference, but it would certainly help if you can provide options and feedback on whatever set-up you know for whatever application(track/daily driver/ricer/etc) it may be..

·
Registered
971 Posts
only thing with springs is that sometimes they sag. Like my car is just a little lower in the back than front and it buggs me so I might go with sleeved coilovers or something.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I think Tokico blues are like just a little better than oem replacements like the KYB GR2. So I wouldnt suggest them if your lowering your car because they would eventually blow.

I have H&R Sport Springs with KYB GR-2 Strut/Shocks and the ride quality for me is great, but could be better with coilover setups. Reason being I got Springs instead of Coilovers is because some people told me that they are too bouncy, but after some research I found that they were only bouncy to people who did not know how to set them up currectly or bought cheap coilover kits. Hope my 02 helps. ;)

·
Team Amber Lamps
4,715 Posts
If I were to do it over again I would get ground control with shocks at the same time, or get some progress coilovers. Save and do it right.

·
Hi I'm _Daniel_
6,235 Posts
ride quality is subjective. you cant really compare ppls opinions of ride quality with different setups.

bounce, or oscillation of the chassis, is controlled by dampers. ppl usually get coilovers for even wheel gap, to slam the car and maintain some shock travel with some coilover designs. however some coilovers can be major performance gains

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
There's a common misconception about "coilovers."

Coilovers, as used here, are nothing more than prepackaged spring/damper combos. Our cars, by definition, all have coilovers. The spring is coaxial with the damper, and is mounted to the damper itself. That's a coilover, and we all have it.

That being said, "coilovers" are not always superior to springs and shocks. D2 coilovers are inferior to a properly chosen combination of Koni Dampers and Eibach springs and Ground Control adjustment sleeves. But, a set of KW coilovers will be superior to that combination.

When you're determining what suspension you want, you need to make sure and factor out the "coilover" term. Don't think you're getting a better setup just because it's a packaged unit.

·
Hi I'm _Daniel_
6,235 Posts

Coilovers, as used here, are nothing more than prepackaged spring/damper combos. Our cars, by definition, all have coilovers. The spring is coaxial with the damper, and is mounted to the damper itself. That's a coilover, and we all have it.

That being said, "coilovers" are not always superior to springs and shocks. D2 coilovers are inferior to a properly chosen combination of Koni Dampers and Eibach springs and Ground Control adjustment sleeves. But, a set of KW coilovers will be superior to that combination.

When you're determining what suspension you want, you need to make sure and factor out the "coilover" term. Don't think you're getting a better setup just because it's a packaged unit.
technical information like that just seems to always get swept under the rug

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ride quality is subjective. you cant really compare ppls opinions of ride quality with different setups.

bounce, or oscillation of the chassis, is controlled by dampers. ppl usually get coilovers for even wheel gap, to slam the car and maintain some shock travel with some coilover designs. however some coilovers can be major performance gains

Ride quality is indeed subjective..

But for daily drivers like me who doesn't really have the fancy computers/equipment to test each and every spring / strut combo out there, i would have to rely on people's actual experiences with them..

I might not get my exact match but at least i will have an informed decision when making my purchase..

I bet your setup or anybody else's set-up for that matter came from someones suggestion.. may it be a book, endorsement by someone, etc..

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

this reply however is indeed helpful.. what do you suggest a good bang for the buck given what i want? as long as it's not bouncy and will be able to adjust come winter time..

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
this reply however is indeed helpful.. what do you suggest a good bang for the buck given what i want? as long as it's not bouncy and will be able to adjust come winter time..
If you want ride height adjustability, it's not going to be incredibly cheap. In my opinion, Ground Controls are a good bet. They use Eibach springs, which is one of the best suppliers in the industy. Their basic combo has 150/175lb springs, I believe, which should be a good ride for a street car. I'd pair those with some Tokico HPs, or even D-specs if you can afford it.

·
Hi I'm _Daniel_
6,235 Posts
Ride quality is indeed subjective..

But for daily drivers like me who doesn't really have the fancy computers/equipment to test each and every spring / strut combo out there, i would have to rely on people's actual experiences with them..

I might not get my exact match but at least i will have an informed decision when making my purchase..

I bet your setup or anybody else's set-up for that matter came from someones suggestion.. may it be a book, endorsement by someone, etc..

I can guarantee you 90% of ppl upgrading their suspension dont have such test equipment at their disposal, including me, and it can become very expensive. yes my old setup came about from here and a book called race car vehicle dynamics. and actually i pieced together my setup and tried new things with it. my current setup, stock springs and konis, well i havent really heard of many ppl running them to be honest. having to gut the housings is usually a turn off.
the thing is, lots of ppl come on here and ask your same question and members will post "Tein, GC, progress" because thats what they are familiar with, and with out having any comparison between other makes or models of shocks/springs/full coilovers. while others have no real background with technical side of suspension, or other cars for that matter. im not dissing any other members here either, b/c maybe their setup is what they are looking for.
im just saying you have to take this kind of information with a grain of salt

·
Hi I'm _Daniel_
6,235 Posts
If you want ride height adjustability, it's not going to be incredibly cheap. In my opinion, Ground Controls are a good bet. They use Eibach springs, which is one of the best suppliers in the industy. Their basic combo has 150/175lb springs, I believe, which should be a good ride for a street car. I'd pair those with some Tokico HPs, or even D-specs if you can afford it.
GC basic spring rates for the civic setup are 375f and 420r if i remember correctly. it think their lowest spring rate they stock is about 250. but you can always call and ask, they were good to me when I called them!

·
Registered
301 Posts
i have Ground Controls with Koni Yellows. I like the way it feels. BUTT, there is that turn off of having to cut the housing open and what not. AND idk if any1 else ran into the problem but since the stock housing has a huge diameter, it would hit something when i hit any bump or pothole making a loud CLANK noise so i ended up triming the diameter of the stock housing as well.

so my stock housing looks like this " D " instead of " O " lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts