Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
You see me...
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a losing a bulb or ballast tonight (haven't taken the bumper off yet to see) I have come to the conclusion that I will be replacing my bulbs or ballasts every 3 months. For all you mathematicians out there thats 4 times a year. I am not trying to make that type of investment in HIDs. Can anyone make a brand recommendation that they haven't had any problems out of? I am currently using the Xentech brand.

I also thought about this. If you are familiar with the fuses that are used for our headlights they happen to be a 15amp fuse. If I would up them to a 20 amp fuse would that hurt anything? I think that may be part of the problem. :dunno:

I don't know just tossing that out there...

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! :tup:

·
FCUK FAKE SPLITS!!!
3,060 Posts
go oem ballasts and get a h4 harness off of ebay! Ive had the same wires/ballasts/bulbs for the past 3 yrs. Im using oem 350z ballasts and bulbs with an ebay harness.:tup:

·
BWAAAAA
15,050 Posts
had my bulbs head and fog for 2 years now. no problems. aftermarket.

·
FCUK FAKE SPLITS!!!
3,060 Posts
Did you get both the harness and ballasts both off ebay?

Edit: Show me an example setup if you don't care....
i got everything off of ebay a few yrs ago. ill have to remove my bumper for pics if u want.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Xentec from HID4U? I have Xentec too, and they are pretty good are replacing stuff. I had a bad ballast and they sent me one no problem, and now I have to get H3 bulbs since I have projectors, I found out the hard way that H4 bulbs won't work in my projector housing. I gotta call tomorrow and they are suppose to send me H3 bulbs. Its funny, I can seriously just call and say I have faulty whatever and they will send me new stuff without any questions ask. But, when I put them in, I hope to god they last more than 3 months, or i'll be pissed :nono:.

I heard mobilehid.com is a pretty good seller, but imo I think $200 is a bit too much for HIDs(Thus why I went with $80 eBay ones), but you pay for quality I guess.

·
You see me...
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Xentec from HID4U? I have Xentec too, and they are pretty good are replacing stuff. I had a bad ballast and they sent me one no problem, and now I have to get H3 bulbs since I have projectors, I found out the hard way that H4 bulbs won't work in my projector housing. I gotta call tomorrow and they are suppose to send me H3 bulbs. Its funny, I can seriously just call and say I have faulty whatever and they will send me new stuff without any questions ask. But, when I put them in, I hope to god they last more than 3 months, or i'll be pissed :nono:.

I heard mobilehid.com is a pretty good seller, but imo I think $200 is a bit too much for HIDs(Thus why I went with $80 eBay ones), but you pay for quality I guess.
Yeah thats about all I get out of them is 3 months...most of the time the bulb is fine its the ballast. Always the most expensive part of the kit that goes. And yes I got them from HID4U!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Shit, then that means i'll have the same problem lol.. Just have them give you a new set of ballasts. When I call them, the guy is usually pretty cool and just adds for my transaction number and ships the stuff out that day. Thats if you wanna do that, or sell yours and get some new ones?

·
You see me...
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shit, then that means i'll have the same problem lol.. Just have them give you a new set of ballasts. When I call them, the guy is usually pretty cool and just adds for my transaction number and ships the stuff out that day. Thats if you wanna do that, or sell yours and get some new ones?
Even if they replace them its the hassle of constantly removing my front bumper and replacing them...

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Geesh, where did you mount the ballast where you have to take off the bumper to reach it? I still gotta find a spot to mount mine when I put mine in.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I installed my driver's side ballast between the frame and the washer fluid tank, bolted to the same bolt where there's a bunch of ground wires running to. The passenger side I bolted to the same place, but I had to get an M8x20 bolt since there was nothing bolted to it already. On the passenger side I ran a ziptie around the ballast to make sure there wasn't any movement.

·
You see me...
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Geesh, where did you mount the ballast where you have to take off the bumper to reach it? I still gotta find a spot to mount mine when I put mine in.
Under the headlight...perfect spot. Just sucks cuz u gotta take off the bumper then remove the headlight..

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Under the headlight...perfect spot. Just sucks cuz u gotta take off the bumper then remove the headlight..
Ahh.. True, it seems like a good spot.

Come on man, it takes me like 5~7 minutes if I got the tools handy to take my bumper off, and about 5~10 to take those 8 bolts off the headlights. Stop being lazy! :laugh:

But, seriously. How many ballasts have you gone through all ready?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts