Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to get rid of acid rain etching? I have it on my hood, roof, and trunk lid pretty bad. Happened before I bought it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have no experience with it, but worst case scenario you can sand down the clear coat a tiny bit and re-finish it. Hopefully it doesn't come to that. Maybe someone else will know.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I would take it to a body shop and atleast ask, they would be the best people to ask and there's no harm in asking cause I have NO idea about acid rain, lol. specially if it ate into your clear coat..

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Talked to a few friends, and they said wash the entire car with dawn (dish washing soap) to remove all wax, then wash the whole thing with baking soda to neutralize the acid. They said that everytime the car gets wet, it reactivates the acid and makes the spots more visible. Once I've done this, polish the car with a power buffer to help make the etching less visible.

Hmm... sounds like alot of work. I'll do it when it warms up again.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It isn't noticable until you see the car up close on a really sunny day. It just looks like a bunch of water spots. I will try to take some pics whenever I get time and it's sunny. Dunno if they will show up in pics...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts