Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I just bought a 5 lug swap for $250 dude gave me front and rear spindles, rotors, pads, brake lines , brackets, brake lines , with spc cambbers. Question is I have an 01 civic, do i need the tie end rods from the rsx ? I remember reading a thread but i can't find the one with the info on this...
no...no tie rod end needed. your'e not swapping suspension so your'e fine. But rsx does have 16mm knuckles though...so your current suspension will need to be modified aka drilled out to fit the bigger crash bolts.

·
Registered
127 Posts
ok right on, appreciate the help bro

So if i'm correct, after drilling 2mm more; im going to be running rsx buddy club coilovers, they should bolt up no problem ?

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
ok right on, appreciate the help bro

So if i'm correct, after drilling 2mm more; im going to be running rsx buddy club coilovers, they should bolt up no problem ?
oh your'e gonna run rsx buddyclubs? IN THAT CASE then you need the RSX tie rod ends and in this case no need to drill out your current suspension since your'e swapping.

If you were going to run stock suspension with rsx knuckles then drilling is required. Otherwise no. Which buddyclubs you running? I did the same with the buddyclub rsd for ep3 and they're lovely and bolts up just fine. But I did hear the rear you need to shave off bushing a bit.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Man this is a big help appreciate it, but I just picked up some Buddy Club N+ for $500 ;) what a bargain right. I want to put them in right now but i dont have any wheels at the moment.

Ya i herd about the bushing how its hard to take out, im just trying to get enough information to piece together the necessary parts needed for this project

how do you like your Buddy club rsd's ?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
i did rsx type s tie rods but i also did rsx types s suspension, i just finished breaking in my EPC green stuff pad and rotors did type s fronts, the car stops so fast enough to pull u forward even before abs kickes in lol

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I got my 5 bolt with ep3 rear trailing arms.. to make the removal of my old set up easier without dealing with so many rusted bolts, we decided to bolt off the whole rear trailing arm with the knuckles and the new ep3 parts fit perfectly fine and aligned perfectly fine...

the only down side to this is that the rear trailing arms on the ep3 will rub the inner side of your wheels if you have an offset of 40 or higher... spacers will def fix that problem but its just one thing to keep in mind.. i never had any real issues till i swapped on my winters which were 16x7 with 50 offset... i added 5mm spacers which helped but my rear ebrake cable happens to slide paralel with the trailing arms and wedges in between the rim and arm... i dont think other 7th gen owners have this problem unless they used ep3 rear trailing arms

just a heads up

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am in the process of collecting all the parts needed for the swap into my 04 Ex 4dr but have a few questions I'd like to get out of the way first.

I was wondering if there is anyone who has done the full RSX Type S swap front and rear? I'm really big on stopping power and just the sheer feel of a set of good brakes. Also the 5 lug options for wheels are a lot better and the look of 4 wheel discs is a much more appealing image.

Has anyone also swapped out the brake booster, BMC, and brake proportioning valve from the RSX? The factory system for the EX has almost NO pedal feel what so ever and I was wondering if anyone had figured out a way or a setup that got more response and feel from the brakes?

And also to those that did the swap, was there any differences in the ABS locations and what not? I'd like to retain my ABS just for legality purposes so that's why I ask.

Sorry for all the questions guys just one more. What kind of pads would people recommend for stopping power on the street? I don't want to run an autocross pad concerning the temps they need to get up to before becoming fully effective. I want a pad that will grab real nice but not fade or just lock the wheels on immediate application.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just did my swap with parts from an 06 RS Type S. If you really want good braking upgrade to Stainless Steal brake lines. The ABS locations are all the same. I have heard that the civic booster is actually better because it requires more pressure for the rear drums than disks, the RSX master is alittle better but not much to notice anything and the PPV doesnt matter. If you can get your hands on all the parts (PPV, master, booster) you might as well use them but they are NOT needed.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The 06 types s master is bigger bore but thats it all your oe stuff works just fine

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
I just did my swap with parts from an 06 RS Type S. If you really want good braking upgrade to Stainless Steal brake lines. The ABS locations are all the same. I have heard that the civic booster is actually better because it requires more pressure for the rear drums than disks, the RSX master is alittle better but not much to notice anything and the PPV doesnt matter. If you can get your hands on all the parts (PPV, master, booster) you might as well use them but they are NOT needed.
RSX and Civic brake boosters are 100% identical.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts