10-19MM 3/8 drive
3/8 rachett
Impact driver to remove screws from rotors
32oz Ball Pin hammer
PB Blaster
10mm Line Wrench
17mm Box Wrench

Parts:
Front and Rear spindels (Base if d17, type s if Kswapped)
New Rotors
New pads if needed
Brake lines (Good time for steel bradied)
E-brake cables off an EP3

Front:

1:Remove the Nuts from the 2 bolts, Remove 32mm Axle nut and free axle from hub

2:Remove Cotter pin

3:Loosen ball Joint castle nut and remove

4: Remove the sensor CAREFULLY from spindle

5:Next part requires 2 people a large pry bar and a BFH (Big F-ing Hammer) 32oz ball pin work good

Place pry bar between ball joint and a-arm and push down. the red circle is the location for the bar:

Begin to hit the a-arm on the other side untill ball joint is free. the red circle is where you need to hit:

Note: if you hit the ball joint that is ok because the new unit should have a ball joint in it, also you make see a little damage on the arm but it is ok so dont worry

6:Remove the 2 bolts

Remove spindle. I forgot to take pics of the unit coming out
Do reverse for putting back together, Do a visual Alignment.

Rinse and repeat for other side

Rear:
For the Rear i have less pics but a lot easier to do vs the front.

1: Remove the speed sensor and ebrake cable from the drum(i cut my cable away from the drum) the rear sensor was a pain to remove just take your time use the pb to loosen rust

2: Remove old line with the 10mm line wrench (Its a good idea to soak all the bolts and Brake lines ends down with the PB)

3: Remove the 3 bolts from pic one and remove unit.

To install just reverse.

For the brake line make sure there tight. When attaching the line to the calipers you should have two copper washers one goes between the bolt and line the other goes between line and caliper.

Once everything is tight bleed the brakes.

Next get an alignment.

If you have any other questions ask away.

I hope this helps

Dwayne

·
The Almighty
25,301 Posts
thanks for the contribution! nice writeup

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i couldnt find a real easy way to do this swap so figured it out and i hope it helps everyone and show you really dont need that many parts

·
Registered
241 Posts
some quick questions, I want to know why do the conversion? is it cause you want rear disc brakes, five lug, or both. Don't get me wrong i would do the conversion also if i had the money, i just want to know why everyone else would like to do it . I know that the 5 lug has better wheel option and rear disc brakes are not only better but look good also. If money was an issue would you prefer to stay with 4 lug and have rear disc brakes. sorry for the crazy questions :dunno:I'm just curious.

·
thehighestsociety.com
1,414 Posts
^you just answered your own question, i dont think there is a swap for 7th gen civic for just 4lug with rear disc break ie; dc2 rear disc brakes fit on eg/eks and stuff and still staying 4x100.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
^you just answered your own question, i dont think there is a swap for 7th gen civic for just 4lug with rear disc break ie; dc2 rear disc brakes fit on eg/eks and stuff and still staying 4x100.
02-03 ep3 is 4 lug and has rear discs, so do European model 7th gens.

·
thehighestsociety.com
1,414 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
I was just asking cause i came across a company named Scarebird Classic Brakes LLC. They make brackets for 96-00 civics to do rear drums to disc conversion. So was thinking if we had brackets made for our cars and use ep3 rotors and calipers or other ones to have rear discs also.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i went with 5lug swap because of the price the wheels and rear disc.....i was finding it very hard to find a 4 lug ep3 wreaked etc im a mechanic and dont like rear drum just easier to have disc and the brake upgrade options are better

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes the EP3 4 lug fits our car. You need the E-brake cable, Caliper, rotor, and knuckle. depending on what year your car is you might need to change your lower control arm.
i didnt need to change the lca i didnt see why its is suggested they appear to be the same for rsx ep3 em2

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just bought a 5 lug swap for $250 dude gave me front and rear spindles, rotors, pads, brake lines , brackets, brake lines , with spc cambbers. Question is I have an 01 civic, do i need the tie end rods from the rsx ? I remember reading a thread but i can't find the one with the info on this...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts