Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I’ve been noticing that my coolant reservoir is overflowing and I’ve seen online that seems to indicate a head gasket issue. I bought the kit that I need, and I am planning on replacing it. For what it’s worth, the overflow issue only seems to occur if I rev to higher RPMs and drive for longer than 30 minutes.

I did come across a few posts that suggested that perhaps it is not the head gasket but the water outlet gasket causing the issue. Since I have the gasket, I figure I may as well give it a shot to see if they’re right or not. I know I have to drain the coolant to replace the gasket but do I also need to drain the oil since it’s on the side of the cylinder head? And is that gasket only good for one use?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Lately I’ve been noticing that my coolant reservoir is overflowing and I’ve seen online that seems to indicate a head gasket issue. I bought the kit that I need, and I am planning on replacing it. For what it’s worth, the overflow issue only seems to occur if I rev to higher RPMs and drive for longer than 30 minutes.

I did come across a few posts that suggested that perhaps it is not the head gasket but the water outlet gasket causing the issue. Since I have the gasket, I figure I may as well give it a shot to see if they’re right or not. I know I have to drain the coolant to replace the gasket but do I also need to drain the oil since it’s on the side of the cylinder head? And is that gasket only good for one use?
I'm the one that originally posted the idea after finding a back lower bolt loose and noting the easy path for exhaust gasses on the EGR side to pressurize the water jacket. It also explained the lack of water damage or oil/water mix usually associated with a bad head gasket.

You won't need to drain the oil but it's a good idea to change it whenever you open things up because dirt and gasket bits and stuff can get in there and plug things up. It's also a great time to adjust your valves and replace the valve cover gasket. There was a discussion in the thread I made about how much to torque the side cover. The torque I used has held for 75K miles so the value is okay, but the other numbers given are now recommended. It's a crush gasket so honda didn't include any, --which is why they all leaked.
Hope it works for you!

If you do end up tearing it down, getting that bloody "bedded" crank bolt out to get the timing belt off is a royal pita and a dealership gave me a tip on it. Use "the tool" to hold the pulley and position two breaker bars such that you can lower the car onto them. I used mighty boot on mine but I gave blood and probably damned my soul for all eternity before finally getting it.
I suggest buying an oem timing belt and water pump and replacing those while you're in there. Make sure the head piston tops and cylinder holes are VERY clean before reassembly. Your rings will thank you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.