Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner

01-03 widerange o2 sensor conversion k-pro only!!!

28K views 92 replies 18 participants last post by  toaster 
#1 ·
[FONT=&quot]Here is the DIY for how to do the wideband sorry widerange conversion for 01-03 honda civic[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If you don’t know what this is just to give you an idea doing this conversions will allow you to run a PRB map in k-pro instead of PRA map. In English the car will be able to run off the sensor. This makes it a hell of a lot easier to tune via dataloging you can run lean protection, you can have the ecu just run off the sensor which tends to keep you afrs around a nice 14.7 all the time hehehe. It might not sound that awesome but once you are familiar with k-pro and you go without it and then go with it you will understand very quickly how awesome it is.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Things that you are going to need [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot] And most important and 04-05 honda primary widerange sensor. the ones off the RSX also work. And I have tried the bosch with no success the voltage doesn’t seem to be correct on all the sensors some work some don’t from what I have found with the bosch. here is a link to the Honda sensor that does work for sure [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/DEN-234-9005.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot] it’s $160[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]An automotive SPST or SPDT 12v 30a standard relay[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Some wire[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Some ecu pins for both the wire and the ecu pins I grabbed and old wire harness out of a junk yard[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Soldering iron and some solder [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Some spades and a crimper[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The ability to pin and de-pin the ecu connector there is already write ups on this so I am not going to go into that one. And if you don’t know how use the search button then you are not deserving of this mod or I am sure someone will add it into this thread. Also de-pinning a connector is sometimes and art form some are easy some are hard and some people can do it better than others[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]First a couple of things I want to thank bryan(forcefedem2 or 02civicrider or ricerbryan lol) for sitting down and taking notes with me on this and I want to thank Edwin for coming up with this. Some of the pin numbers on skipbarber’s write up over on CF are miss typed which is one reason why I am typing this one up[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So here is the diagram[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]And here is what the relay looks like[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Now lets start with the o2 sensor there are going to be 2 black wires a white and a green(sometimes it’s a blue depends on the sensor and who made it) the 2 black wires are interchangeable meaning you can use either one.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Now on to the relay[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You are going to run one of the black wires of the sensor doesn’t matter which one to Pin 87 on the relay but also on that same black wire you will “T” off a wire to Pin A22 on the A connector It’s the grey connector. Here is a pic of the “T-ed” off wire going into A22[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here is another pic of the A connector plugged into the ECU it’s the grey one[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Now you are going to run a wire off terminal 85 on the relay to pin E8 the white connector going to the ECU here is a pic of the wire going into E8[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]And here is another pic of the E connector going into the ecu[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Next you are going to run a wire of the 86 terminal on the relay to an ignition source I used the black and white wire off the C101 connector. The big gray connector by the ecu that connects the engine harness to the dash harness and I just “T-ed” into it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here is a pic of the black and white wire on the C101 connector[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]And another[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Now on to the last terminal of the relay, terminal 30 you want to run a constant 12 volt to this terminal. I used the white with red stripe and 2 silver bands wire going to my radio for my constant[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Now back to the o2 sensor now you should have 1 black wire left and the white and green(or blue) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]That one black wire that you have left goes to pin A1 which is already an existing wire for the 01-03 primary o2 sensor it’s a black and white wire going to your old primary o2 sensor. you don’t need to re-pin or anything just make sure that you connect your black wire coming off your new sensor to the old black and white wire coming off your old primary o2 sensor connector.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Now same deal with the white wire connect the white wire of your new o2 sensor to the white wire on the old sensor connector.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Now onto the last wire the green(or blue) wire coming off the sensor this is the signal ground wire. You need to run a wire from pin A16 on the A connector going into the ecu the grey plug. And run that to that green wire on the new o2 sensor.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Now all the wiring is done you just need to open up your computer and load up an 04-05 calibration.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Hope that helps everyone I might come back in and add some more pics later and maybe some more detail this is not a project for the faint and only a handful of people have pulled it off properly.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Oh and here is a connector diagram for the E and A ecu conector courtesy of hondata’s website[/FONT]

See less See more
#5 ·
no you can run this NA your car does not need to be boosted but you do need k-pro. if you do a k-swap essentially in the wiring changes that need to be made for a k-swap the car gets converted to a widerange setup already so if you go k-swap you don't need this

figured that one out during a very late night in speedfoos's garage while trying to figure out the wiring for skatejosh's car

Still makes it sound easy. Thanks for the write up and all the pictures. Good to know that the Bosch might not work because that was the way I was going to go.

well for you and everyone else I guess you could consider it looks easy but for me well I have a history with this conversion and I have been through a lot.

Started out with me and andyman and edwin (skipbarber) Andy and I with some help from edwin spent about three weeks trying to get this to work on andy's car the problem was no one had done this before at all so it was pretty much all a shot in the dark except for one wiring diagram from europe that we found that should have worked in theory but really just a theory more like a rumor that you could see. we never got it to work tons of maps a lot wiring even more rewirring lots of phone calls and even a couple visits from edwin. We finally gave up on it.

Then Edwin figured it out and wired up justin's (boilermaker's) car. Then I went over to justin's and wrote the map for it we tested it out and it worked:tup: a couple month later edwin posted a write up on it but I never got a chance to really look at the wiring on justin's car and the write edwin posted was great but there were a couple numbers or colors that were mis-typed and we did not know for sure if any sensor other than the oem denso sensor would work. I got a bosch sensor and I followed edwins diagram and the car ran like total shit didn't spend much time on it when I got more time I tried it again and it still gave me problems. then I ended up with a denso OEM o2 sensor and I was determined to make it work. I sat down with edwins diagram and sorted through that and my honda electric trouble shooting manual and my shop manual. and finally figured out what was what got it all hooked up properly and got it working. then I helped bryan get his up and working awhile later and at the same time he took notes and helped me figure out what needed to be updated and fixed and since it had been a while since I did mine it took a while and a lot of double checking to get everything right.

so yeah this mod has been a big headache for me It's not hard to do if you are good at wiring but trying to get it all straight from the get go has not been the easiest of chores.

the other thing is the bosch sensor may work I haven't had any success with it personally but supposedly some have.

#7 ·
#10 ·
Only question I have as of now is... does it matter what its out of on the rsx? Like does it have to be year specific? And does it matter if its the base model or type s? Cause I know on the link he posted it said it was for an 02-04 rsx type-s.

Just curious if it matters or not.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Ah, wait so the guy you bought them from is selling multiple ones? I thought you were just posting people who were selling them, I figured "Well shit, what happens when someone buys them, then no more good prices for us!"

#26 · (Edited)
Just got mine the other day.. A friend and I will be trying to do this over the weekend. So hopefully it all goes well. He's chipped ecu's and stuff before, so he said it should be fairly easy and straight through. :x:

Also, one small question. Why were you talking about the o2 sensor colors..? Don't you just plug it in as if it was an 'oem replacement' sensor, then just repin accordingly right? My sensors a bit different than described. It has two black wires, one blue, and one white, but I figured it would be different than described since Paul said so. I have a relay in my garage from my new double din that I didn't need to use so i'm gonna use that.

Basic run down.. Plug sensor in as if it was oem replacement, repin, switch to a PRB map, start up and it should all work accordingly, correct? (Of course i'll have to swap my fuel table values and stuff over.)

#28 ·
Also, one small question. Why were you talking about the o2 sensor colors..? Don't you just plug it in as if it was an 'oem replacement' sensor, then just repin accordingly right? My sensors a bit different than described. It has two black wires, one blue, and one white, but I figured it would be different than described since Paul said so. I have a relay in my garage from my new double din that I didn't need to use so i'm gonna use that.

Basic run down.. Plug sensor in as if it was oem replacement, repin, switch to a PRB map, start up and it should all work accordingly, correct? (Of course i'll have to swap my fuel table values and stuff over.)

If you read the DIY you will see it is not just plug and play you have to do some wirring hence why I have to post up the differrent wire colors. an no you sensor is the same if you read it, it says the sensor has 2 black a white and a green, or a blue the green is sometimes blue depending on the manufacture.

so your basic rundown a little off you have to re-pin and re-wire and do not use crimp connectors or vampire bite's on this except for the spades going to the relay this is one of those things you realy need to solder everything

#29 ·
Since I have the entire wiring harness out of the car. Anyone think it would be cleaner to use as much of the stock wiring as possible by tracing the green/yellow and the black/yellow wires back to their junction connections. Then cutting and rerouting the new wires to there.

#32 ·
Okay.. This has been a god damn nightmare for me. It has me very stressed out. My friend and I spent 4 hours easily on this. We thought it was done for the most part, fired it up, switched to a PRB map.. AFR was stuck on 10.7 and I threw a P0134(o2 sensor no activity), we backtracked a little.. Everything appears to be right. Relay has constant power(checked with a tester). My friend didn't understand why we needed a ground for the ecu, or whatever it was we had to pin for a ground(He did most of the wiring and figuring out, I did the soldering, running wire, etc) but we did it anyways. We must of overlooked something or done something wrong. I'll be checking over all my connections and going threw the DIY again to make sure we missed no steps.. For my constant power, like how Paul used his radio for power, I did my cig lighter.

Enough headaches for me tonight.. I'll be going over everything once again either tomorrow or the next day, whenever I get time. :hsugh:

#34 ·
Hey guys,

I know I asked about this like 4 months ago but I stumbled across this and was wondering why you cant do wideband conversion like this? Im running the autometer wideband and the manual has a conversion chart like this. Why can't I just input the values and run wideband. All the relays and stuff are already built in. It should just be pinning them in like you would on an 04/05 right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.