Code P1457 "EVAP emission control system leak detected" - 7th Gen Honda Forum - The #1 Community for 2001-2005 Honda Civic Enthusiasts
7th Gen Honda Forum - The #1 Community for 2001-2005 Honda Civic Enthusiasts

7thGenHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
yodachoda87

So noob, it hurts.

yodachoda87 can only hope to improve

Total Points: 1,372,851,682.44
Default Code P1457 "EVAP emission control system leak detected"

I'm an idiot, my light is a check engine light, not an oil pressure light! Kinda a relief, because my actual problem isn't as serious as I thought. Code is P1457.

When I start the car cold, there is a slight grinding/tapping noise that disappears after I start driving.

I took a quick look under the hood, and noticed that it appears like the right side connection between the exhaust manifold and the pipe leading to underneath the car has broken off. It definetly looks different than the left side (which looks fine), but I couldn't get a good view so I don't know for sure how damaged/cracked the connection is.

Probable causes are "Loose fuel cap, Vapor canister saturated, failed vent solenoid, or failed purge solenoid". I'm sure its not loose fuel cap.

Could this bad connection between exhaust manifold and pipe be the cause of my P1457 code (even though it wasn't listed under probable causes)? If so I'll probably buy a header off ebay and pay a shop to install in and replace that broken connection. Thanks.

Last edited by yodachoda87; 11-20-2010 at 01:51 PM.
yodachoda87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
timbo

timbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Total Points: 16,316,403,428.81

The 1457 code like you said is for the evap system. The loose connection at your exhaust will not throw a 1457 code. There is most likely a problem with either a purge valve or 2way/bypass valve. There is a TSB i believe on the bypass valve being updated.
timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
Greeenie

The Almighty

Greeenie has a reputation beyond reputeGreeenie has a reputation beyond reputeGreeenie has a reputation beyond reputeGreeenie has a reputation beyond reputeGreeenie has a reputation beyond reputeGreeenie has a reputation beyond reputeGreeenie has a reputation beyond reputeGreeenie has a reputation beyond reputeGreeenie has a reputation beyond reputeGreeenie has a reputation beyond reputeGreeenie has a reputation beyond repute

Total Points: 1,207,478,162,367,004.25
Nothing says good job like the gift of fish! - speedfoos IA 08' Crew w00t! - Mralbino I. Like. You. - Mralbino thanks fukker - rj - DEIJ I got you some Fireside Nut Brown for ya - Mralbino 
Have some puffs with aloe, Hope you get to feeling better! - Alpha5'sotherwoman i owe ya a beer when we meet up at IA for the help on the vic. - Dhezee thanks for listening to my rant and talkin to him!  appreciate it man!!   bryce - bryce023 Thought you might need some of this old man ;). - Vilex b-day - taylorsherk 
Awesome birthday gift to amyhates! - aliefjoker 
New York Yankees Dallas Cowboys

again, has been said before, take it to ur mechanic. this is obviously above you. You simply should not be driving, or even breeding, u should seriously consider a vasectomy as you are not intelligent enough to be allowed to procreate.

Pete i like the meat curtains
my build thread
i <3 pete
uıɐƃɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ƃuıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯɐ ı
Greeenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
speedfoos

Retired Mod

speedfoos is just really nicespeedfoos is just really nicespeedfoos is just really nicespeedfoos is just really nicespeedfoos is just really nicespeedfoos is just really nicespeedfoos is just really nicespeedfoos is just really nicespeedfoos is just really nicespeedfoos is just really nicespeedfoos is just really nice

Total Points: 17,830,647,716.45
Bitch, the only lips we're talking about are urs on my cock, so put this on and STFU! - andyman97 your an inspiration! - Daddy u were right, u want a cookie?? - greeen01civic4d I owe ya a drunken night in dc when you get back, cheers! - andyman97 here's a nice pint to say im sorry, haha - SAEbanz311 
Here's one on me! Thanks again man! - 2doorvic just for being german..My last name Is Metzger..butcher baby - kenbo'sboost'dD17 Have a slice of pizza on me... Thanks again for the bumper - 02civicrider - 02civicrider Mmmm, points. - strid3r happy new year! - amyhates 
For being such a cool dude and helping me out throughout the time. - Vilex 
Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - CenZ 

You know Yoda, I almost want to meet you in person because the shit you post simply baffles me.

7ghCarolina #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNDecker View Post
Really? You're asking this question on a forum where the majority of members can't even afford to paint their lips.
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
robertschultz1

robertschultz1 is an unknown quantity at this pointrobertschultz1 is an unknown quantity at this pointrobertschultz1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Total Points: 186,400,574,756.04
thanks for protecting us and ur sacrifices u have made - furbyj1 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - furbyj1 

^^^ LMAO!

(OLD) 2004 Civic EX Coupe (EM2) w/ K20A3
K-Series Build Thread
Original Build Thread

(NEW)1990 Ford Mustang LX (Notch) w/460 BBF
460 Fox Body Build Tread
robertschultz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
RHCP0801

Administrator

RHCP0801 has disabled reputation

Total Points: 35,676,860,987.11
You fukker, approved... IA 08' crew! - Mralbino thanks for the lesson!! yea, its personal! - real adam - greeen01civic4d 
New York Mets

lmao clint, i agree
RHCP0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:36 PM   #7
yankeechess

yankeechess is an unknown quantity at this point

Total Points: 1,000,001,101.29

I had the same problem with Code 1457 EVAP Purge Solenoid on your charcoal canister has to be replaced! I bought a used canister complete with the EVAP solenoid valve from a 79,000 mile parts car and it did not work as my CE light came back on! I then bought a used complete EVAP charcoal canister with solenoid off of a parts car with only 10,000 miles (free of rust) on it and it has worked perfectly! I reset my codes and it has been off ever since! You can try to do what I did, but the easiest fix is to get a new EVAP Purge Solenoid! Installation is not difficult! You just got to get down and dirty under the car! The Charcoal canister is located to the rear of your gas tank! You can't miss it as it is a black plastic rectangular box. The purge solenoid is attached to it on the left (driver) side of the canister. Two screws hold it on. It has an electric plug and a small hose coming from it! Once you have installed it, reset your codes if you have an auto code scanner. If you don't, disconnect your battery cables for at least ten minutes and reconnect! Your CE should be off! If you solved the problem, your CE will stay off! If not, it will come back on within 3 days or around 300 miles! Here in NY State, before I got mine fixed, I needed an inspection, so I reset my codes the day prior to my inspection and had no problems getting passed! The following day after my inspection, my CE came back on!
yankeechess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:07 PM   #8
hondatuner01

hondatuner01 hondatuner01 hondatuner01 hondatuner01 hondatuner01 hondatuner01 hondatuner01 hondatuner01 hondatuner01 hondatuner01 hondatuner01

Total Points: 1,345,924,027.71

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeechess View Post
I had the same problem with Code 1457 EVAP Purge Solenoid on your charcoal canister has to be replaced! I bought a used canister complete with the EVAP solenoid valve from a 79,000 mile parts car and it did not work as my CE light came back on! I then bought a used complete EVAP charcoal canister with solenoid off of a parts car with only 10,000 miles (free of rust) on it and it has worked perfectly! I reset my codes and it has been off ever since! You can try to do what I did, but the easiest fix is to get a new EVAP Purge Solenoid! Installation is not difficult! You just got to get down and dirty under the car! The Charcoal canister is located to the rear of your gas tank! You can't miss it as it is a black plastic rectangular box. The purge solenoid is attached to it on the left (driver) side of the canister. Two screws hold it on. It has an electric plug and a small hose coming from it! Once you have installed it, reset your codes if you have an auto code scanner. If you don't, disconnect your battery cables for at least ten minutes and reconnect! Your CE should be off! If you solved the problem, your CE will stay off! If not, it will come back on within 3 days or around 300 miles! Here in NY State, before I got mine fixed, I needed an inspection, so I reset my codes the day prior to my inspection and had no problems getting passed! The following day after my inspection, my CE came back on!
excited much?
hondatuner01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:57 PM   #9
Samuel

Samuel is an unknown quantity at this point

Total Points: 1,061,554,083.39

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeechess View Post
Wow! You sure do know when to apply the proper punctuation! Haha! To the OP, good luck! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I <3 Honda
Samuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
2005greycivicex

2005greycivicex is an unknown quantity at this point

Total Points: 1,459.54

It's the purge valve on my 2005 civic. I eliminated the gas cap as a culprit with the vasaline on fill rim trick. It's about a 20 minute job if your resonably handy. Its never the charcoal canister on the 7th generation Hondas, thats just the stealer running the bill up on you. Should cost you $25-30 bucks. Hint, don't bother trying to remove those pesky clips on either side of the purge valve, just use a little coaxing pressure and they will slip off. The two screws are a little hidden so use a good screw driver so they don't slip off.One of those cheap china freight magnets on a spring helped me out to coax the screw out in this application.
2005greycivicex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement