How to remove Wheel Studs - 7th Gen Honda Forum - The #1 Community for 2001-2005 Honda Civic Enthusiasts
7th Gen Honda Forum - The #1 Community for 2001-2005 Honda Civic Enthusiasts

7thGenHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
dj_cronic_metal

dj_cronic_metal is an unknown quantity at this point

Total Points: 7,688,145,971.58
Gay and Lesbian Pride - aliefjoker 
Default How to remove Wheel Studs

Wasn't sure if this or mechanical was the right spot. I would like to remove my current wheel stud and replace it on my front drive tire since I had to re thread the stud before. I'm wondering though how to get back to the studs to remove them. I've gotten as far as taking the rotor off, but it's like you have to remove a whole section just to get to these or an axle or something o.O Anyway I was wondering if someone knows how or could tell me what I need to remove to do this? Pictures would be a plus if anybody has some

djrabbi im like SOOOOOOO WHAT! I am a d-bag with or without them so don't matter
dj_cronic_metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
Greeenie

The Almighty

Greeenie has a reputation beyond reputeGreeenie has a reputation beyond reputeGreeenie has a reputation beyond reputeGreeenie has a reputation beyond reputeGreeenie has a reputation beyond reputeGreeenie has a reputation beyond reputeGreeenie has a reputation beyond reputeGreeenie has a reputation beyond reputeGreeenie has a reputation beyond reputeGreeenie has a reputation beyond reputeGreeenie has a reputation beyond repute

Total Points: 1,030,570,985,023,020.50
Nothing says good job like the gift of fish! - speedfoos IA 08' Crew w00t! - Mralbino I. Like. You. - Mralbino thanks fukker - rj - DEIJ I got you some Fireside Nut Brown for ya - Mralbino 
Have some puffs with aloe, Hope you get to feeling better! - Alpha5'sotherwoman i owe ya a beer when we meet up at IA for the help on the vic. - Dhezee thanks for listening to my rant and talkin to him!  appreciate it man!!   bryce - bryce023 Thought you might need some of this old man ;). - Vilex b-day - taylorsherk 
Awesome birthday gift to amyhates! - aliefjoker 
New York Yankees Dallas Cowboys

u have to remove the whole hub assembly from the knuckle to do it. there is no quick way sorry, the hub is pressed in

Pete i like the meat curtains
my build thread
i <3 pete
uıɐƃɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ƃuıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯɐ ı
Greeenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
dj_cronic_metal

dj_cronic_metal is an unknown quantity at this point

Total Points: 7,688,145,971.58
Gay and Lesbian Pride - aliefjoker 

greenie in my haynes manual it says you just need to remove the dust cap and that nut that holds the hub in place and I should be able to get to this? Is there something i'm missing. It doesn't seem that complicated in fact it just mentions to use a hammer and chisel to get the two pieces off once the rotor is removed.

djrabbi im like SOOOOOOO WHAT! I am a d-bag with or without them so don't matter
dj_cronic_metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
robbclark1

robbclark1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Total Points: 1,148,720,785.73

the easy way is to hammer the stud out, but getting the new one isn't easy without taking the whole thing off. The back plate gets in the way though.

On my wife's sentra, I use a c-clamp and then just put the wheel/lug nut on to pull it the rest of the way in.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
robbclark1

robbclark1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Total Points: 1,148,720,785.73

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=907985

I just read too that you can put a bunch of washers and just use a lug to "pull" it through.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
DANKassEM2

DANKassEM2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Total Points: 1,000,006,765.30

take the dust sheild off and beat them with a hammer. you do not have to remove the hub
Old 09-19-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
EEAE6000

EEAE6000 is on a distinguished roadEEAE6000 is on a distinguished roadEEAE6000 is on a distinguished roadEEAE6000 is on a distinguished road

Total Points: 38,240,720,367.97
5 Kyle Busch San Diego Chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANKassEM2 View Post
take the dust sheild off and beat them with a hammer. you do not have to remove the hub
yes you do, they have to be pressed in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbotron View Post
basically sedans have better lines than coupes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limestand View Post
stop right there!
2 drs for people that can't handle 4drs!
EEAE6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
RHCP0801

Administrator

RHCP0801 has disabled reputation

Total Points: 35,676,848,435.11
You fukker, approved... IA 08' crew! - Mralbino thanks for the lesson!! yea, its personal! - real adam - greeen01civic4d 
New York Mets

ok for all the people saying your can you just hammer them in and out you are wrong, i just did a FRONT wheel stud the other day at work and you infact DO need to press out the hub and the wheel bearing, once the hub is pressed out the wheel bearing also needs to be replaced because some of the bearing stays attached to the hub.

it is not possible to hammer out the old stud or hammer in the the new one, part of the knuckle gets in the way so unless you want to start grinding away a large chunk of the knuckle which i dont suggest than go ahead.

Take it to a shop to get it done unless you have a press and the knowledge at home

For REAR wheel studs are easy, take off the drum, the spindle nut and slide off the hub, hammer out the old stud and hammer in the new one
RHCP0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
02FPcivic

Molten Metal Manipulator

02FPcivic has a spectacular aura about02FPcivic has a spectacular aura about02FPcivic has a spectacular aura about02FPcivic has a spectacular aura about02FPcivic has a spectacular aura about02FPcivic has a spectacular aura about02FPcivic has a spectacular aura about02FPcivic has a spectacular aura about02FPcivic has a spectacular aura about

Total Points: 7,688,229,397.93

Yep I have done them as well. Fronts definetely cannot be changed without pressing the hubs out. Its amazing how many times this topic comes up and how many people claim that the front hub can stay on, haha.
02FPcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:48 PM   #10
speedfoos

Retired Mod

speedfoos is just really nicespeedfoos is just really nicespeedfoos is just really nicespeedfoos is just really nicespeedfoos is just really nicespeedfoos is just really nicespeedfoos is just really nicespeedfoos is just really nicespeedfoos is just really nicespeedfoos is just really nicespeedfoos is just really nice

Total Points: 17,138,265,787.01
Bitch, the only lips we're talking about are urs on my cock, so put this on and STFU! - andyman97 your an inspiration! - Daddy u were right, u want a cookie?? - greeen01civic4d I owe ya a drunken night in dc when you get back, cheers! - andyman97 here's a nice pint to say im sorry, haha - SAEbanz311 
Here's one on me! Thanks again man! - 2doorvic just for being german..My last name Is Metzger..butcher baby - kenbo'sboost'dD17 Have a slice of pizza on me... Thanks again for the bumper - 02civicrider - 02civicrider Mmmm, points. - strid3r happy new year! - amyhates 
For being such a cool dude and helping me out throughout the time. - Vilex 
Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - CenZ 

Oooo. You guys just got fucking owned.

7ghCarolina #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNDecker View Post
Really? You're asking this question on a forum where the majority of members can't even afford to paint their lips.
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement