Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner

Mediacom Copyright Infringement Notice?

27K views 47 replies 17 participants last post by  THE_DON 
#1 · (Edited)
So I got a letter from my ISP (Mediacom) today telling me they've received a notice that i've been using my account to download copyrighted materials. Here's what the letter says.

COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT NOTICE

Mediacom has received a notice that you or someone using your account for the Mediacom Online high-speed internet service has posted, transmitted, or shared with others certain copyrighted material without the permission of the owner, thereby engaging in copyright infringement. A copy of this notice is attached.

Infringement Details
Name of Work:
IP Address:
Date:
Reporting Agency:

If the complaint is true, this behavior violates the terms of your Customer and User Agreement and our Acceptable Use Policy for the Mediacom Online service. You received copies of the Customer and User Agreement and our Acceptable Use Policy at the time your use of the Mediacom Online service began, and copies can also be reviewed online at www.mymediacom.tv/user policies.

Please keep in mind that you are responsible for violations by all persons using your account. According to the Mediacom Acceptable Use Policy: www.help.mymediacomonline.com/help/read/publisher 01/2002-11-22.01

"If you are a subscriber to the service, you are responsiblefor any misuse of the service by anyone using it through your account, even if a friend, family member, guest, or other person commited the innappropriate activity with access to your account. A violation of these policies by someone using the service through you or your account will be considered a violation by you, whether or not with your knowledge or consent"

Having received this notice, Mediacom is required by law to act expeditiously to remove or disable access to the files or other materials specified in the notice. Accordingly, we require that you immediately remove or disable access to all files and materials specified in the notice, as well as any others that you may be posting, transmitting or sharing (on a "peer-to-peer" basis or otherwise) without the permission of the copyright owner. If you do not do so within the next twenty-four hours, or if at any time we receive an additional complaint that your account is being used to infringe any copyright with regard to these or other files or materials, Mediacom will exercise all of our rights and remedies, including and without limitation, suspending or permanently terminating your use of the Mediacom Online service. Copyright infringement may also subject the infringer to liability to the copyright owner for as much as $250,000 for each infringement. Violation of copyright law is also a federal crime if done willfully with intent to profit.

Well, looks like my downloading illegally is over with.. Unless I found a way around this. I'm honestly kind of scared. Might have to try PeerGuardian 2 and block my ip and make things more secure..

It says I illegally downloaded a movie, "2012" when I called them.

Fucking mediacom. I've been downloading crap for YEARS, and I havn't even downloaded anything illegal in the past 2~4 weeks at least and I NOW get this..?

See less See more
#4 ·
f**king charter sent me something on dec.4 similar to this too. saying someone downloaded "the longest yard"... is this shit just a warning? or is it a real crack down?

#5 ·
oh heres a link to almost exactly the letter they sent me down the page...but so far in the readings..its just a warning..and some guy has had 6 of them...lol

#9 ·
I work for Verizon, we send out a lot of those letters.
The letter should provide you with your IP and the date and time the media was illegally downloaded.
It usually takes a month or two from the time you get the illegal content to the time you get the letter.
Weather or not you are prosecuted is solely up to the owner of the content.
I have seen people fined a lot of money for one download and then I have seen people get 8 or so letters before any legal action.

It all depends on the owner of the content.

#17 · (Edited)
Limewire is easily the worst place to download anything from nowadays... mainly just viruses everywhere. If your gunna download something, use a torrent. But anyways, tracking IPs is incredibly easy, and if someone wanted to catch you they would. The new (kinda) copyright act that obama and the RIAA sided with each other on says fines for illegally downloaded songs are $750 - $150,000

Vilex: I use IpSharkk, it like automatically masks your IP every hour to something different.

#12 ·
I'm still trying to figure it all out. I guess it's easy for them to detect P2P(Peer-to-peer) clients, and thats how I got caught. I had my grandma call 'em lol.

I gotta do my research.. I know I can make proxies, and all this stuff, but I don't know how secure or helpful it really is. If I torrent again, i'm sure as hell making it so my shit can't be traced, or have it harder to see what i'm doing.

#15 ·
I got PeerBlock, it's the same thing more or less.. I'm gonna see if I can get any other means of protection. I guess from what google says, it's just for copyrighted stuff, which is about everything out there..

Btw SP4RT4N, I recently add you on facebook, if you were wondering who Nick Campos was.

#28 ·
Yeah, i'm trying to figure out exactly how they do it and how it works, so I can counter it.. If they monitor my ip and the sites I visit, or P2P clients, or what. Once I know, then I can find something good to use against it.

Limewire is easily the worst place to download anything from nowadays... mainly just viruses everywhere. If your gunna download something, use a torrent. But anyways, tracking IPs is incredibly easy, and if someone wanted to catch you they would. The new (kinda) copyright act that obama and the RIAA sided with each other on says fines for illegally downloaded songs are $750 - $150,000

Vilex: I use IpSharkk, it like automatically masks your IP every hour to something different.
Yeah limewire blows.. Eck. IpSharkk? I\'ll have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

whos to say they dont take possession of his hard drive and notice that the movie is still there...no file is ever erased from a hard drive...ever.

but anyways, that sucks man...you should have just kept up wit your quota of downloads a day and you prolly woulda been safe lol keep us posted on tha happenings.
Well, I don't download much. And it's rare, I span it out too. I mean, I don't have erratic bandwith jumps from one day to another. Like say I used 20 gigs one day, and the next I use like 1 gig lol.

Also, I only think the big name ISPs are doing it. It doesn't surprise me that Mediacom is doing it, to be honest. But like, local not-as-popular ISPs probably don't do it. But, it wouldn't hurt to have the protection and to be on the safe side, just in case. Now they know i've downloaded something, so I gotta be extra careful. They'll probably be watching me or something and become more suspicous. :eek:hnoes:

#18 ·
whos to say they dont take possession of his hard drive and notice that the movie is still there...no file is ever erased from a hard drive...ever.

but anyways, that sucks man...you should have just kept up wit your quota of downloads a day and you prolly woulda been safe lol keep us posted on tha happenings.

#19 ·
Im like 70% sure what they do is go out and dl content them selfs and share it, marking IP addresses who dl'ed the content then send out these letters. I like to think of it as a Speed trap. Ive given up on Illegal downloads, there are sooo many easy ways to get free music and movies... Netflix, Public Library's, Friends who illegaly download them *copy to extrenal hard drive*, use a web proxy to web proxy to web proxy to web proxy to web proxy to web proxy to download. shit like that lol

#26 · (Edited)
if anything back up your files on a hard drive....like a WD portable

then clear your pc

you would hate to have it seized

I would personaly swipe my drive 3-4 times and only download popular torrents

I was accused of this about 2 years ago and they shut off my internet and threatened legal actions

but it never went through after calling them and explaining I left my router unlocked(which was true)

I was accused of downloading bee movie... I didnt want to see it for free let alone waste bandwith

on that note stick to a legit torrent site

I stopped with downloading and just let friends hook me up

your best best is to say your router was unlocked and you didnt know other people were using it

in my case it was true

limewire, bearshare, kazaa, imesh and all those others are tracking devices... riaa plants shit all over those

#29 ·
isohunt is very risky... those are random torrents without any comments or reviews

they use random torrent sites

I use utorrent with superfundo.org(very legit site)

another idea is to download off someone elses wifi... you can get a discrete antenna that will work for like 1/2 mile lol

#39 ·
trust me if you look into the contract you signed to hook your internet up they have full legal right to charge you for illegal activity

I am sure this is how it works:
Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) pays the internet provider to provide the ability to track illegal downloads

#31 ·
I use uTorrent and the main site(s) I use are Thepiratebay, and isohunt. My lesser ones are mininova, and btjunkie. I use to have a demonoid account, but they've been on and off.. So i've been forced to use the others.

#32 ·
Bryce, the more complex it is to download a file (not meaning anymore harder, just another means of retrieving a file other than P2P apps) the more your chances of getting caught will be cut down. if you use popular apps like Limewire (since everyone and their momma does) then isp's and feds will monitor those more closely and crack da whip on people using that, as opposed to downloading torrents. :werd:

#40 ·
here is a good example
LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A day after being sued for illegally sharing music files through the Internet, a 12-year-old girl has settled with the Recording Industry Association of America.

Brianna LaHara agreed Tuesday to pay $2,000, or about $2 per song she allegedly shared.
"I am sorry for what I have done," LaHara said. "I love music and don't want to hurt the artists I love."
The suit claimed LaHara had been offering more than 1,000 songs on the Internet, using the Kazaa file-sharing service.
The RIAA said it was pleased with the settlement. There are 260 cases still pending.

I know this sounds crazy but if I ever was able to settle out of court for say 2 dollars a song or 7-20 dollars a movie that actualy sounds great

you got caught for one movie I doubt they are going to hunt you down

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.