Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner

Do not use seafoam!!!

13K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  Tomj333_EM2 
#1 ·
This is in response to other topics where people are recomending seafoam. Guys i used seafoam once a while ago did it exactly like stated, but later after no real effect i did some in depth reading and talking to serious mechanics at toyota dealership where my friend works and honda THAT SHIT IS THE WORST SHIT U COULD EVER PUT IN YOUR CAR!!!!!! DO NOT USE SEAFOAM!!!! coutless testomonials on internet of how they completly fuck all the seals in your engine screw with ur injectors and just plain fuck your car wont notice so much on newer engines but on older cars with old valve seal use seafoam then take it in shop ull see what they say wtf did u use on your car... My cousin has 1995 integra 215xxxk also he used it and then had huge leak from valve cover took it in and guess what seafoam ate the shit and he had to get all new seals and the one he had was old but seafoam fucked its life. DO NOT USE SEAFOAM!!!! do the research if you dont believe me!!!google is ur friend.

#2 ·
I have to disagree, there are times that it can make problems worse, but ive been useing it for years and never had a problem, u cant take what 5 people say over years of experience. opnions are like assholes, we all have em, and they all stink. if u want a really good, solid fuel injector cleaner, that works well, use Lucas injector cleaner, its oil based and safe

#6 ·
like adam said sometimes it can make a problem better or worse. it is some nasty stuff but it works great for me I use the stuff a lot and I have had my engine apart more then most peoples and it has never once hurt anything in my car. it is also the way I clean out my injectors a jewlery cleaner filled with sea foam works amazing. I love the stuff and I am not going to change cause I have seen what it has done first hand.

#8 ·
I'm sure the fact that the car had 215,000 miles on it had nothing to do with having bad seals? I'm willing to bet the sea foam got rid of the junk that was sealing up those bad seals. Sea foam isn't meant for high mileage beaters. It's like flushing the trans on a car with 200k+ miles on it when it's never been done. Why?

#11 ·
seafoams awesome.... you and your cousin fail

yes it can cause damage if you have dirt and grime stopping leaks... but that just means fix your car

#12 ·
Its not that i see it to be that harmful on moving parts but when it comes to seals that are conditioned, i have second thoughts. Seals in an engine are designed to work in accordance with oil and have a neutral reaction when they come in contact with motor oil.
So when they come in contact with detergents that sit outside of the parameter's of accepted accidity/alkaline then your seals may under go more extreme expansion and contraction.
I will agree with the logic expressed about it unblocking gaskets and seals, as this sounds like a very plausible theory and in my mind seems like it is a well drawn hypothesis. But until honda/toyota/subaru do research and start selling it at the parts counter would i ever trust such a strong detergent in my vehicles engine.

#18 ·
Kawasaki right? I'm disappointed to hear that in such an old engine it did not provide any notable results.

I would love to see the ACTUAL increase in power over say...a 12 month period with this product used a few times followed the week after with dyno results. Guarantee you would not yield anymore then a 2-3%hp gain at best and for the risks of ruining seals it is just not worth it.

#23 ·
I got the same effect, all i did was put in ngk iridiums and some mobil 1 0-40w :) what exactly is seafoam? dont get it over here in the UK

#22 ·
it really all depends on what state the motor is in some times it will work great and other times it will do nothing, but it is on the motor for that not the seafoam it's like using a wrench on a rusty bolt sometimes you can get it off and sometimes you can't depends on the state of the bolt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.