Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner

2001 front end clunk

29K views 77 replies 30 participants last post by  Civic_Demon 
#1 ·
2001 EX coupe. I've been having clunking from the front end since I got the car about 6 months ago. I just (yesterday) got my car back from the shop (1 week and $600), I had them put in an Energy Suspension kit. Sway bar bushings, front and rear. LCA bushings front and rear. This is what I had them put in: http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=PackageDeal002

But I still hear the clunk. It's signature sound is the same. It sounds different, reduced sometimes and harder at other times. Overall the clunk is still there.

I notice that the car is tighter feeling and steers nicer. But that damn clunk is still there. Note: I didn't mention the clunk to them or ask them to look for it. (It was already 4 days in and getting too expensive) So I don't blame the shop, but they said they didn't see any other problems and that every thing else with my suspension looked good.

What the hell is causing that clunk?

#40 ·
yea i have the same issue i think that the cause of this is the tie rod and the upper struts, how the grease n the ball joint came out that is causing all this to happened. like i'll go though the dip or small bump on the rod i'll have a big bang. however i think that our year mods does have a lot issue to deal with.

#42 ·
Brown shock?
Dam, do you think that black shocks can cause the same issues?
If so im pretty sure all four of mine are fu*ked, last time i checked they were a brownish dirt color with an underlying black.
You really got me freaking out now, i really hope that the color of my shocks doesn't affect the ride of my car at all.

#48 ·
Well I had this problem for a few weeks and decided to go down there and figure out what was wrong. So intially I found that 2 of my motor mounts were broken, my tie rod boot was ripped and greaseless and that my strut bushings were missing!!! So a good 350$ and a couple days of time later, boom, no more clunk!!!!:tup:

#63 ·
Update: finally found out what my clunking sound was. It didn't have anything to do w/ my tie rod ends even though one is greaseless since the boot busted.

i am using tanabe coilovers and the driver front side...the springs are shifting a little which makes the loud clunking/popping sound. going to pull the coilover out in a few days or so and see if i can get the springs to sit properly.

#69 ·
i didnt read everything but if the noise is happening when you go over bumps, potholes etc.....than it is your endlinks and sway bar bushings....change them out with new ones and dont forget to grease the bushings and you are done
In my case. It definitely wasn't the endlinks or the bushings. I actually recently swapped the front sway bar...and the endlinks were still good and the bushing had to be replaced due the sway being different size.

I still had the popping/clunking sound. But after tightening the front coilover spring on the driver's side...my clunking sound is pretty gone.

#76 ·
that's what mine sounds like,just not as loud.a mechanic told me i need new control arms,sway bar links ,and bushings,and said it looks like my car was lowered before i bought it..but idk i got new energy bushings and swaybar links that i got to put on when i put on my coilovers though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.