Honda Civic Forums - 7thGenHonda banner

2001 front end clunk

29K views 77 replies 30 participants last post by  Civic_Demon 
#1 ·
2001 EX coupe. I've been having clunking from the front end since I got the car about 6 months ago. I just (yesterday) got my car back from the shop (1 week and $600), I had them put in an Energy Suspension kit. Sway bar bushings, front and rear. LCA bushings front and rear. This is what I had them put in: http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=PackageDeal002

But I still hear the clunk. It's signature sound is the same. It sounds different, reduced sometimes and harder at other times. Overall the clunk is still there.

I notice that the car is tighter feeling and steers nicer. But that damn clunk is still there. Note: I didn't mention the clunk to them or ask them to look for it. (It was already 4 days in and getting too expensive) So I don't blame the shop, but they said they didn't see any other problems and that every thing else with my suspension looked good.

What the hell is causing that clunk?

#7 ·
x2..same thing is happening to me and i dont know whats wrong with it.hopefully whatever it is, its now too biggy..:x:

#8 ·
Did you check your motor mounts? Easiest way is to pop the hood and have someone watch the motor. Hold the brake and press the gas and see if your motor is moving alot. Most likely it because I have the same problem, and I'm changing them on Wednesday.

#21 · (Edited)
if its like a popping squisshy noise over bumps its likely the oem rubber top hat things that are also reused in coilovers. Its a pretty common noise with tein basics in the rear for some reason.

i dont think the compliance bushings could not installed correctly- you would definitely feel it in the steering.
I also dont think its the motor mounts either- had mine busted and i never knew - idle wasnt even that rough.
if its the bushings or whatever rubber you would hear more of a creaking noise, though im not sure what a clunk is...

chances are its probably the cv joints- maybe get some white grease and start spraying stuff.

#24 ·
mines clunk too, it gets annoying at times....:dunno:

#26 ·
I was looking around the site and I found a thread that said that if some of the strut bushings aka the tiny metal balls on top of the strut came out while you took out the strut, that may be the reason!! Ands I was looking around and realized that half of those were in a plastic bag in my trunk:pisschair: so I'm gunna put them back in tomorrow and see if that works??

#33 ·
Forgot to update and take pics, ugh. But anyways, I changed the front motor mount and there is still some clunking going on. Not as bad, but it's all there. And on another note, I have a belt going out now. The day after I changed the motor mount. lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.