DIY: 01-02 to 03-05 Gauge Cluster Swap [Archive] - 7th Gen Honda Forum - The #1 Community for 2001-2005 Honda Civic Enthusiasts

: DIY: 01-02 to 03-05 Gauge Cluster Swap

Honder
09-14-2008, 01:51 AM
Someone just made a thread on here about doing this and I didn't want to link them to CF...So I figured I'd transfer my DIY to here, along with posting of the pin diagrams.

First off, You will need to remove your gauge cluster. To do this, you have to remove the two screws located on the black plastic piece of trim around the cluster.

If this is your first time removing the cluster bezel, you will need to get a butterknife or something that's less likely to damage the plastic, and slide it along the bottom edge. It's glued on there. It will put up a little fight, but just take your time and you'll be okay.

Then to remove the actual cluster, take the 3 screws off (2 on bottom, 1 on top) and tilt the top of it forward so you can unplug the connectors. Wiggle the cluster out of the dash and put that ugly MoFo on eBay!:domo:
HOW TO REMOVE PINS FROM CONNECTOR
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/dcf2362e-2fdb-493d-84fd-990a014958b4.htm

Before it was installed, after it got cleaned up really nice

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/7254/hpim0134webrs1.gif

Got it installed finally...here's the finished product

http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/4306/pict0095en6.jpg

This is going to be a long read of some tips and tricks and issues I had that might come in handy for anybody doing this in the future...

1. The Wiring
Once I figured out the trick, I had the green cluster de-pinned in 5 minutes, not exaggerating one bit. I know it's supposed to be easy to figure it out, but to someone like me who's never done this type of thing before, it was tricky to figure out. Just trying to help all the newbs out ;)

The pin-swapping: Only thing I noticed that was a bit convuluded was on DirtySamurai's wiring guide (Thread link HERE (http://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-honda-civic-members-rides/198569-01-03-cluster-conversion-link-pictures.html)), the white-red wire that goes into the green connector listed both as going into the same pin slot. From looking at the diagram , I went with the white-red wire from the blue cluster and moved it over to the green one. Just FYI. Also, the red-white wire from the green cluster was the only wire I didn't use. . Like it's been said before, the only wire needing to be extended was the Yellow-Black wire being taken from the green connector to the blue connector. I just cut, spliced using butt connectors, and taped over the connectors just to be safe. The only wire I needed that was listed that I didn't have was the green-black wire in the blue connector. Everything works fine so I'm going to assume it's either DRL or Side SRS. Both of which my car doesn't have.

How I removed the pins (Complete idiot's guide :))

I used a paperclip, about maybe 2 millimeters in diameter, to get the pins out. I used my Dremel and grinding stone to sharpen the end as to slide in easier and to decrease diameter a bit. I also put an upwards bend on the sharpened end to make it easier to wedge in there. First visual aid:
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/9577/hpim0153jn1.jpg

This is the way you get the pins out. Quick note - Looking back on it I suppose you could go in the bottom hole if you really wanted to, but going in from the top helps you you avoid the tab at the end of the pin and also sets up a good angle to help unlock. This is the way I did it, and I can definitely vouch for it.

For each top and bottom row, there are two holes for each pin. You want to go in from the top hole, and angle down towards the bottom hole. This is where the upward bend on the paperclip comes in handy. If you angle too soon, you'll hit a little tab on the floor of the pin. It takes a bit of time to get where to wedge it in, play around with it. Optimally, this is the angle you want to get on it:

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/7513/hpim0155mf7.jpg

Next step: Once you find the spot, you'll feel it get tougher to slide in, and then it'll stop (You've just hit the spot where the wire is crimped at on the connector... It's a good thing!) While holding the paperclip in place, give the wire a little tug. It should move out a little bit. Now remove the paperclip, and it should slide out no problem. I found if you try to leave the paperclip in, you run a higher chance of taking the wire out instead of the actual pin (Found out the hard way :()The only wires that didn't slide out easily were the ones I had screwed with the last time I tried to do this.

2. Cluster issues

So anyways, on to the issues. I had noticed when I got it that the gas/temp needles were out of place, as if they had did a full rotation. I had rotated them by hand to where I thought they should be, but when I turned the car on the temp needle went flying into the gas needle and got stuck. So I took it out and played with it a bit, rotating it Clockwise and Counterclockwise....When I rotated it CW, it went to the starting point fine. Rotating CCW, it was stopped from rotating any further right at operating temp. After taking the cover off and playing with the needles around 5 times, I finally decided to move the Temp needle CCW to the starting point. I had to go against the little motor in there. It clicked while I was doing it, but I did it quite carefully, not wanting to break anything. Started the car up and let it idle...and to my surprised, worked like a charm. Ended up having to turn the gas needle CW to the starting point as well. Both are working fine now, so if anybody gets a cluster and notices this problem, there's your solution

And here are the pin diagrams that I have, for reference.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b42/berberoglu/blueplug.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b42/berberoglu/greenplug.jpg

Here's an alternate version...

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/8454/wiringdiagramgu6.jpg

All you have to do is swap the wires from pin location to location, and in a couple cases from green connector to blue connector. IIRC you have to extend 1 wire. Also, if you have left over wires, don't freak out. Just double check everything is right...and if it's not needed, then just cap it and don't worry about it.

VMF
09-18-2008, 11:28 PM
nice job, man, i might do it soon, after suspencion and brakes are done:)

Greeenie
09-18-2008, 11:30 PM
very nice diy, havent seen this one before, thoroughly impressed, thanks very much, i may be doing this as well, rep for u +1

Honder
09-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Thanks man. I posted this last March on Civicforums...and figured it would be of more use here :tup: Rep returned

Greeenie
09-18-2008, 11:33 PM
thanks man, rep appreciated

Honder
10-05-2008, 01:25 PM
It changes the style of clusters. From the cheap looking ones that are lit by fillament style bulbs to this one which is lit by LED bulbs, and look 10000000000000x better.

Honder
12-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the kind words. Now stop trying to get to 50 posts by going and writing nice DIY on every fucking DIY on this website.

BluCoupe38
03-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Finally got my gauges installed last night. Great DIY...easy to follow :tup:

Question: I noticed that my airbag light is on now. Would this have anything to do with the gauges coming from an '04 LX w/o side airbags and going into a '02 EX w/ side airbags? :dunno: And is there a way I can get it to turn off?

cheo_papi
03-26-2009, 09:20 PM
just finished!!!!!!!!, very detailed intstructions given, thanks.

just curious, does anyone know what both of the white/red cable (the one that is connected, and the other one that is left unconnected) is for?

J-Rez
03-27-2009, 02:48 PM
has anyone swapped out an 01' auto cluster with a 04' manuel cluster.....but still have the auto tranny

jus askin i have an auto 01' and a friend gave me a manuel 04' cluster i would like to swap them out but would i be creating any future problems for myself

J-Rez
04-07-2009, 06:34 PM
BUMP :coffee:

fado5
04-10-2009, 12:02 PM
^^ not sure man but if u do find out if its gona cause problems and u dont wana do it gimme a shout, i mite take that new cluster off ur hands :x:

Rasta_Calde
04-27-2009, 03:57 PM
I have a quick question

will the 01-03 sedan cluster (white face) work on a 01-02 coupe (gray face) just plug and play?

PaCiFiKbAllA
06-11-2009, 06:50 AM
For all the noobs (again):

If you are swapping 01-02 cluster to another 01-02 cluster, they are a direct plug and play.

If you are swapping your 01-02 cluster with an 03-05 cluster, you need to rewire the pins as per page 1 of this thread.

My Car: 2001 Honda Civic EX Coupe w/SRS
Old Cluster: 01' EX w/SRS
New Cluster: 04 EX w/SRS

After install: Following the excel spreadsheet supplied here and on H-T, the information and directions given are very EASY to follow. Now, the only wire I had left over that I capped off was the WHITE/RED wire from the blue connector. And if you guys own an EX and are following the chart, there is no GREEN/BLK wire.

What made the install easy for me was that I printed out the excel spreadsheet, pulled out one pin at a time, and placed it where it needed to go, one connector at a time. Then on the sheet I printed, I put a big X in the box, so that way I knew I did that one already (in case all those colors confuse you).

This DIY should take you no more than 30-40mins tops (making sure u double check everything). I'll snap some pics tomorrow and post them up. Great DIY! :tup:

PaCiFiKbAllA
06-18-2009, 06:12 AM
Here it is :dance:

1st shot without lights on:

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/7905/icnolight.jpg

2nd shot with parking lights on:

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/2817/icparkinglight.jpg

3rd shot with igntion on:

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/9521/icignition.jpg

10x better than the stock 01' gauge cluster! :tup:

ForcedFedEm2
06-23-2009, 09:35 PM
Gonna be doing this hopefully this weekend or if not, one day next week. Nice DIY btw. Looks very thorough. I'll post pics once complete.

Edit: Quick question that i just thought about. I've done the auto to manual swap and im still running the auto dash harness. I'm most likely going to have extra wires left over, but is there any wires i could possibly be missing? If anyone can post up the connector chart for a 02 LX Auto would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

01gokartlx
07-08-2009, 10:34 AM
I just finished this project last night and the DIY was fantastic. Worked on the first try, which almost never happens. There is only one problem that I saw. I have an 01 lx coupe and swapped in a 04 ex sdn cluster. My ABS light is on now. I dont have ABS. Can I rewire a a pin in the new cluster to make this go off? Or do I have to put the prolong sticker over it?

ForcedFedEm2
07-08-2009, 12:56 PM
I wired mine up yesterday as well. Ended up haveing to do it twice cause i'm stupid and didn't see there was numbers on the connector and just guessed on which one was one lol. But second time it worked perfect.

Also wondering if theres anyway to bypass the abs light. It really doesn't bother me cause i have a check engine light on as well.

01gokartlx
07-09-2009, 09:27 AM
I just got done getting rid of the ABS light on the cluster. I took it apart, where the glass and the front ring plate are and pulled the thin black plastic cover over. You dont need to take off the needles, just pull it back enough to locate the spot where the ABS light is. I broke the light out with a small flat head screwdriver. If you dont want to do that then fold a piece of black electrical tape into a small square for the size of the hole and let the black cover hold it in place. If you do that, make sure you test it so there isnt any visible light showing before you put it back together. Hopefully this will help anyone who has the same problem I did with the ABS light on the 03-05 gauge cluster.

trust05em2
07-10-2009, 02:39 AM
ok so i have a 05 vp cluster which has no tach if i get an 05 hybrid or ex cluster that has one when i plug everything in will everything including the tach work just plug and play or will i have to do some wiring:dunno:

living single
07-22-2009, 08:18 AM
if i have the 04 pigtails can i just splice it in matching colors to put it in an my girls 01?

Matt V
07-26-2009, 01:12 AM
So just to make sure before I buy a cluster, the 01-02 cluster plugs will work, this guide is just to show you how to re-pin the existing plugs so they work with the 03-05 cluster?

SHG_James
07-26-2009, 01:19 AM
correct.

bucktail
10-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Very Very helpful for me. thank you

taylorsherk
10-19-2009, 11:54 AM
question: i have an 02 ex and my guage cluster is in miles. so if i buy an 04 cluster in kms would the re-pinning be the same or is there an issue with changing from miles to kms????

anybody know

taylorsherk
10-19-2009, 08:17 PM
another question. if i buy an 04 automatic cluster.
will it work after re-pinning the harness the same as posted?
i have an 02 manual cluster now

04cvc86
11-05-2009, 12:51 AM
ok so on mine i have a 04 dx 5spd with no tach i got the cluster out of a 04 ex i plugged it in and nothing happened do i need to repin the plug or could it just be a bad cluster

em2_4_me
11-05-2009, 01:02 AM
ok so on mine i have a 04 dx 5spd with no tach i got the cluster out of a 04 ex i plugged it in and nothing happened do i need to repin the plug or could it just be a bad cluster
man you aint got shit to do, just re-pin it like in the diagram and see what happens lol, i could help you on that if you came over. its easy

2002-dxsedan
03-16-2010, 12:33 AM
just did mine, abs and airbag lights on, do you think the diy to reset will work, my car doesn't have side airbags and not sure what my cluster came out of?

em2_870
03-16-2010, 12:45 AM
ok so i have a 05 vp cluster which has no tach if i get an 05 hybrid or ex cluster that has one when i plug everything in will everything including the tach work just plug and play or will i have to do some wiring:dunno:

2x on this

cencalEM2
03-16-2010, 05:21 AM
ive been looking around for a diy on ep3 cluster...can someone give me a link to it or show me explain to me how to swap from a 01ex to ep3 cluster....if someone can give me an answer...thanks you alot! :tup:

red_sun
03-16-2010, 05:34 AM
If the ep3 is wired anything like the rsx you can just color match wires for the most part. To get the ep3 cluster to fit right is gonna take little bit of trimming and possible fiber glass work since its shaped different than em2 clusters.

cencalEM2
03-16-2010, 05:57 AM
If the ep3 is wired anything like the rsx you can just color match wires for the most part. To get the ep3 cluster to fit right is gonna take little bit of trimming and possible fiber glass work since its shaped different than em2 clusters.

thing is that i dont know how the rsx cluster is. lol. :pisschair:
i know for a fact that it will need trimming but maybe not fiber glass. hehe. its okay tho. lol

red_sun
03-16-2010, 06:01 AM
thing is that i dont know how the rsx cluster is. lol. :pisschair:
i know for a fact that it will need trimming but maybe not fiber glass. hehe. its okay tho. lol

Just find ep3 cluster pinout then repin it. Theres a rsx cluster swap diy it should be fairly similar. But find the ep3 cluster pinout before you try anything.

cencalEM2
03-16-2010, 06:08 AM
yea...thats was pretty much what i was trying to look for this whole time as well..hehe. well, if i cant do it then ill just sell the ep3 cluster. lol. Thanks alot redsun for trying to help.:tup: I apreciated it alot bro. thanks again.

well, if anyone has done it, help me please. lol

2002-dxsedan
03-16-2010, 02:10 PM
anyway to get rid of abs light, i drive a '02 dx and just installed '05 ex cluster

2002-dxsedan
03-16-2010, 02:39 PM
just tryed the srs reset diy and that didn't work for airbag light, any suggestions?

red_sun
03-16-2010, 04:39 PM
pull the bulb or led or put tape over them.

stress14
05-02-2010, 10:39 PM
great diy, two thumbs up. helped me alot

MCPSH
05-28-2010, 05:38 PM
And here are the pin diagrams that I have, for reference.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b42/berberoglu/blueplug.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b42/berberoglu/greenplug.jpg

Here's an alternate version...

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/8454/wiringdiagramgu6.jpg

so I was going to do this swap and I pulled me cluster out (02 EX). To my surprise when I pulled it out and looked at the pig tails I found that my car is already pinned exactly like the diagran above for the 04 VP. Seeing as how it already matched the pin diagram I figured I'd give it a try (going on the theory that if my wires and clip already match the pin diagram for the 04 I should be able to direct swap). as you can guess at this point, my car worked fine, but the cluster did nothing. So my question is does someone have the pin diagrams for an 02 EX and then for an 04-05 EX. Or if anyone knows why my wiring is already set up like an 04 VP, but won't light up the 04-05 cluster that would be awesome.

cencalEM2
05-31-2010, 12:45 AM
so I was going to do this swap and I pulled me cluster out (02 EX). To my surprise when I pulled it out and looked at the pig tails I found that my car is already pinned exactly like the diagran above for the 04 VP. Seeing as how it already matched the pin diagram I figured I'd give it a try (going on the theory that if my wires and clip already match the pin diagram for the 04 I should be able to direct swap). as you can guess at this point, my car worked fine, but the cluster did nothing. So my question is does someone have the pin diagrams for an 02 EX and then for an 04-05 EX. Or if anyone knows why my wiring is already set up like an 04 VP, but won't light up the 04-05 cluster that would be awesome.

You're wiring is set up under 04VP for your old cluster but since you are getting the 04-05 cluster, my theory is that you will still have to repin it according to the 04-05 EX pinning..well, try it and see if it works :x:..

On the other hand, I just did mine and the wires on my car are soooo faded that i can't even tell the difference between white/pink/yellow...lol. but i got it working money good.
This DIY is very good...:tup:TWO THUMBS UP:tup:

Em2_honda_boy
05-31-2010, 08:25 PM
Ill give u rep i swapped an ex cluster when u posted on civic forums its awsome +1 rep for u

qijian
07-18-2010, 12:49 PM
quick question... by getting a new cluster with lower miles than your car... after you install it does it just add up from whatever miles is on the cluster? i.e New cluster 92k old 98k.

just wondering how it all works out. thanks!

MCPSH
07-20-2010, 05:35 PM
nope from what I've been told your cluster will read what ever was last on there when it was pulled. so if ur new one is from a car with 100K then when u install it in ur car u will now have 100K miles. then if u ever went back to your old one, it would read still read what ever your final miles were before u pulled it out.

there is a way to have it re flashed I guess, but it costs bank at honda.

2002-dxsedan
07-20-2010, 09:45 PM
my old cluster said 285000 kms, new one said 86000 kms, might like to try to sell it, but i think karma would bite me hard

kwiksilver05
07-21-2010, 03:02 PM
you can get a sticker from the dmv or at a certified shop saying you installed it and the mileage is something different and it goes in your door jamb. at least you can here in nc.

also, after swapping my guages, my fuel needle says i have nothing, any ideas? everything is plugged in correctly. :dunno:

MCPSH
07-21-2010, 03:16 PM
either u touched the needle and it's stuck (they are pretty sensitive from I've been told although now that I think about it, you shouldn't have been inside the cover area with this DIY), or you didn't wire it correctly. My guess is you left the wire out, it's not fully in the harness or you got a 2 wires misplaced, but you don't notice the other one cause it's for a system that you don't normally see on your speedo.

1SickEs1
08-11-2010, 06:52 PM
i now this is a hella bump but i just got my 04-05 cluster and all i have to do is take that one pin out and thats it? then plug it all back together and it will work?

any help would be appreciated

ForcedFedEm2
08-11-2010, 09:16 PM
^ U need to completely re-pin both connectors.

1SickEs1
08-11-2010, 09:49 PM
so will my 01-02 connectors fit in the 04-05?

1SickEs1
08-11-2010, 10:12 PM
i read the whole thread and i understand now they will fit just gotta repin the whole thing exact to the excel spreed sheet and i have a lx so i wont need that other wire

2002-dxsedan
08-12-2010, 10:18 AM
yeah they'll fit, reuse and repin them both, it's so easy, i just printed off the first page in the diy and had it beside me in the car. was a little nervous at first but when your sitting there just read over everything, look over the connectors, it'll come together

MCPSH
08-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Mine are pinned hella weird. my 01-03 cluster is pinned just like 04-05 is supposed to be, but it doesn't operate the 04-05 cluster. at some point I'll just have to go try it again.

1SickEs1
08-12-2010, 05:14 PM
yea eric hopefully will be coming over my pad to help me repin it tomm wish me luck :D

TylersEM2
08-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Does anyone have a pic of the difference between the 01 02 and 03-05?

Wasnt sure why the 03-05 looks so much better. never seen 03-05. hahah.

1SickEs1
08-25-2010, 07:37 PM
01-02 is ugly as balls u probly have one this is what i got this is not my car but i got the same cluster

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu187/phuviano/Misc/inside2.jpg

MCPSH
08-25-2010, 07:44 PM
^^^ um Adam, that's an 04-05 2dr cluster... unless you mean this is what I got, like ur gonna install it soon with Eric.

basically the 01-03 clusters do not have led lights in them and they have 2 large center circles (tach-L speed-R) and 2 smaller outer circles (gas-R temp-L). the 04-05 are 1 larger center circle (speed) and 2 small outer circles (tach-L and gas/temp-R)

and I need to figure out how my car is wired. the only difference between my 02 ex and an 04 VP is 1 light pink colored wire. everythign else is exactly like the 04 VP in the diagrams. so annyoed with this, think I may just sell my 04-05 cluster and get LED lights.

related to the OP's question, a benefit of the 01-03 cluster is that the bulbs can simply be changed out, the 04-05 can't be.

1SickEs1
08-25-2010, 08:35 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO do ur research smart ass its 03-05 not 04-05

Coupes got Red, Sedans got Blue LEDs

2k1civic01
08-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Damn! I wish I had black interior. Yes the 03-05 did come with the led clusters.

Ph_Ayman
09-13-2010, 05:59 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO do ur research smart ass its 03-05 not 04-05

Coupes got Red, Sedans got Blue LEDs

Hi Adam...what about the milage??? is it stored in the engine computer and will reflex in the installed??
coz i found ony guy selling his 05 cluster but need to be taken from his car and the milage is 25000 km and mine is only 106000 km so which one will appear after fixing in my car??

moreover, mine is EXI with NO SRS , No Cruse control but the 05 one is full options ..so i just will deattach these wires ..right??

SHG_James
09-13-2010, 07:54 AM
Mileage is stored on the cluster, not the ECU. Whatever mileage is on the cluster is what you'll be seeing.

1SickEs1
09-16-2010, 11:21 PM
alrite im going to attempt this tomm by myself with this thread next to me wish me luck

Em2FTW
09-16-2010, 11:45 PM
luck has been wished JDMlee, i hope to be picking one of these up pretty soon as well, 50 bucks at the junkyard aint bad lol, i wanna get this cluster though it looks legit.

1SickEs1
09-17-2010, 07:47 PM
ok guys need ur help ASAP

i messed up a Tan Pin and green/orange pin can anyone tell me what those do?

other then that there all out ill be re pining as soon as i get a reply

THANKS!!!

1SickEs1
09-17-2010, 08:02 PM
no body :(

1SickEs1
09-17-2010, 10:00 PM
well thanks for the help guys NOT.........

Just follwed the diagram and it works fine i am having issues when i turn my lights on the cluster turns off i think i need that ground to be put in after all and my radio doesn't work i think i blew a fuse -.-

lots of left over wires bout 5......1 from green plug and 4 from blue

Ph_Ayman
10-31-2010, 04:41 AM
i just swaped mine
here is the last photo of the dull old one
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/6053/30102010288.jpg (http://img340.imageshack.us/i/30102010288.jpg/)

and the new one ..:tup: much much better
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/9830/31102010290.jpg (http://img253.imageshack.us/i/31102010290.jpg/)

-but i am having a problem...the petrol arrow is shwoing half tank although it is full :dunno: please advise how to fix that :ugh:
-also i can not see a bulb alert if the doors are open??? is the US one has no alert if the dorr is open?

ForcedFedEm2
11-01-2010, 12:14 AM
The gauge itself could possibly be broken on the gas needle. As for the door alert.. I know there is one for the trunk.. I don't think there is one for doors.

Ph_Ayman
11-01-2010, 03:23 PM
but the gas needle is floating maximum to the half mark when the tank is full and getting down as the gas consumed...i dont know how to fix it
for the door alert ..my old one has but the US version i installed may be no :werd:

1SickEs1
11-01-2010, 10:30 PM
mine worked just fine when i extended it over

Bryan could be right could be broken

Ph_Ayman
11-02-2010, 12:13 AM
Adam..that is really disappointing me . i opened the front cover and the rear one. i cleaned it well and checked the needel spring. it is fine \
that is realy :werd:
any one can advise....:hs:

skyline44512
11-02-2010, 11:37 AM
I didn't know the 01-02 gauges were diff...that's odd. If anything I'd expect 04-05 to be different since they had the diff front clip.

So 03 is a pretty unique year, with the new gauges and old front clip. Nice.

ForcedFedEm2
11-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Yeah I don't have a light to tell me the doors open on mine either, just trunk.... That's what the dome lights for ;)

MCPSH
11-03-2010, 12:20 PM
^^^ u do know the interior lights can be off with your door still open right.

Carlos M
11-03-2010, 12:36 PM
i just swaped mine
(http://img340.imageshack.us/i/30102010288.jpg/)

(http://img253.imageshack.us/i/31102010290.jpg/)

-but i am having a problem...the petrol arrow is shwoing half tank although it is full :dunno: please advise how to fix that :ugh:
-also i can not see a bulb alert if the doors are open??? is the US one has no alert if the dorr is open?

Did you have to extend the wire for the fuel gauge? because it may be the resistance of the wire or connection. This is what i found out so you can test it if you have a good volt meter

The fuel gauge and low fuel indicator light are controlled by the CPU built-in the gauge assembly. The CPU receives fuel level information from the fuel gauge sending unit.

The fuel gauge sending unit's resistance varies from about 11 - 13 ohms at full to about 130 - 132 ohms at empty. The fuel level signals current changes with the varying resistance, which enables the CPU to determine the level of the fuel. When the CPU determines that the fuel level is low, it turns the low fuel indicator light on. When you turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0), the gauge returns to the bottom of the gauge dial regardless of the fuel level.

ForcedFedEm2
11-03-2010, 01:40 PM
^^^ u do know the interior lights can be off with your door still open right.

Of course if you set it like that. I'm just saying lol.

Ph_Ayman
11-04-2010, 12:30 AM
Of course if you set it like that. I'm just saying lol.

thc for the informations guys ;)

Did you have to extend the wire for the fuel gauge? because it may be the resistance of the wire or connection. This is what i found out so you can test it if you have a good volt meter

The fuel gauge and low fuel indicator light are controlled by the CPU built-in the gauge assembly. The CPU receives fuel level information from the fuel gauge sending unit.

The fuel gauge sending unit's resistance varies from about 11 - 13 ohms at full to about 130 - 132 ohms at empty. The fuel level signals current changes with the varying resistance, which enables the CPU to determine the level of the fuel. When the CPU determines that the fuel level is low, it turns the low fuel indicator light on. When you turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0), the gauge returns to the bottom of the gauge dial regardless of the fuel level.

good stuff Carlos..thx for sharing ..i dont have much backgroung of that ...i tried to open the gas gauge but it is sealed at the back so what u can advise me to do ??

Carlos M
11-04-2010, 12:55 AM
thc for the informations guys ;)

good stuff Carlos..thx for sharing ..i dont have much backgroung of that ...i tried to open the gas gauge but it is sealed at the back so what u can advise me to do ??

ok i looked at the diy i would check to be sure that the pins are all the way in on the connectors a loose one would cause a higher resistance. and if you have a volt meter you can test the wire before the connector to be sure you have the correct ohm load . i will see if i can figure out what color the wire is for you .
looks like it is the yellow and black wire
http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y310/man1222aol/Car%20porn/120078239.gif

Ph_Ayman
11-04-2010, 05:17 AM
apprecite your help Carlos ....i will confirm the wires connection in the weekend and i will let know ;)

Carlos M
11-04-2010, 10:39 AM
no problem brother for sure let me know i will do my best to help you solve that problem

Ph_Ayman
11-07-2010, 01:20 AM
i rechecked the wires ..every thing is fine ...i discovered that WHITE/RED shoukd be connected together ,...i did that but the needle still in the same position
as mentioned before (ADAM & Bryne) may be it is broken ...so i will keep it like that
thx Carlos for the help :hs:

Carlos M
11-07-2010, 01:00 AM
did you test the wire for the resistance maybe the fuel sending unit is bad. because if the load was correct from the wire with a full tank that would tell you for sure there is something wrong with the gauge. just a thought

EM2 KiD
03-02-2011, 03:59 AM
just curious.... if I have an 04' VP & I'm swapping to a 03' EX Cluster I just follow the re-pin diagram correct?

eg92b16
04-10-2011, 08:50 AM
if i have the 03 lx can i still fallow the diagram for the ex ? since am swapin the one in my 01 sedan ex to the 03 lx

eg92b16
04-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Nvm I just did it thanks jdmlee

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide App

1SickEs1
04-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Glad it worked out for u.

Sent from my Devour using Tapatalk

boosted_em2
04-10-2011, 11:44 PM
Not A hard diy ...I think the Rsx swap was a but harder.

eg92b16
04-11-2011, 03:27 AM
N the pin ain't hard at all don't get me wrong I spend 30 minutes with one but after I figure out 2 minutes all out, also I had to move wires from the blue conector to the green one

505civic
04-13-2011, 01:24 AM
would i have to do the same thing if i wanted to put an 02 cluster on my 04?

EM2 KiD
04-13-2011, 03:53 AM

NO. I believe it's a direct swap. I have an 04' VP & just swapped over to an 03' EX Cluster. VP Cluster is for sale ... I'll post up pics soon

anyone know how to remove ABS & Airbag Lights besides taping over them? :dunno:

qijian
04-13-2011, 04:19 AM

now why would u want to do this?....everyone wants to do the opposite lol.

and yes you would need to rewire everything.

Reefermattness
04-14-2011, 04:41 PM
Just finished mine and is looks AMAZING!

Thank you for this DIY. There is no way in hell i would have ever figured out that wiring on my own. LOL Great job.

Had to put a little tape over the ABS and SRS lights. I took it apart as far as I could so that I could see the gauge motors from the back, and didn't see any ways to get to the LEDs. That doesn't mean there isn't a way, of course just personally didn't want to break anything.

eg92b16
04-15-2011, 07:27 AM
did u use all the pins ? Cuz mine went I did it i mix 2 wires n I had the srs light on so after fixing that issue the srs is off
Just finished mine and is looks AMAZING!

Thank you for this DIY. There is no way in hell i would have ever figured out that wiring on my own. LOL Great job.

Had to put a little tape over the ABS and SRS lights. I took it apart as far as I could so that I could see the gauge motors from the back, and didn't see any ways to get to the LEDs. That doesn't mean there isn't a way, of course just personally didn't want to break anything.

Reefermattness
04-15-2011, 02:02 PM
did u use all the pins ? Cuz mine went I did it i mix 2 wires n I had the srs light on so after fixing that issue the srs is off

The only wire that I did not use was the white/red #15 from the green plug, as stated. My SRS/Airbag light was already on with the old cluster, probably my seat belts.

EM2 KiD
04-16-2011, 05:16 AM

how did you get rid of the SRS light? .. which pin is it?

eg92b16
04-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Well nah sure but since I have to take it out today again am double check . There is 2wires that look like alot blu yel n grn yel on the green plug I had those 2 mix up so one of my turn signal didnt.work n had the srs light on u should check on those .

Sorry for my english lol just tryin to help lol

how did you get rid of the SRS light? .. which pin is it?

EM2 KiD
04-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Well nah sure but since I have to take it out today again am double check . There is 2wires that look like alot blu yel n grn yel on the green plug I had those 2 mix up so one of my turn signal didnt.work n had the srs light on u should check on those .

Sorry for my english lol just tryin to help lol

lol it's kool man.. but I installed my pins correctly according to the diagram. I was just wondering if anyone knew if there was a pin I could take out maybe to take away the SRS light, but I'll probably just end up taping over them instead. thanks anyway :tup:

Ph_Ayman
07-21-2011, 04:13 AM
i just got this from a 2 doors 2005 totalled car
any one has thses in here?? it is an OEM but i never saw it before
any idea about the wiring??
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/4859/09072011027.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/717/09072011027.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

qijian
08-09-2011, 07:03 PM
hmm... if im putting a 03 auto cluster in my 01 auto....does the pinning in the first page apply?

BoucherEM2
08-14-2011, 10:09 PM
Just did my cluster swap...shit works great! Bump for awesome thread :tup:

kvue1989
09-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Will this work if I put a 2005 Civic LX Sedan Manual Cluster into my 2001 Civic LX Sedan Manual. Please help I know im a noob.

jdmdv
09-21-2011, 05:30 PM
yes it will work:tup:

kvue1989
09-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks...

furious_cruzer
05-12-2012, 06:56 PM
hey thanks for the diy, worked out great..... well allmost:|, i hate opening old threads but this i feel is nessary, here in canada any car 1996 and newer must be equiped with DRL (Daytime Running Lights) and SRS Airbags, after doing this i was left with 2 wires, White with blue stripe and solid pink x2, thats right i had 2 pink, one going to each plug, i was having issues with my DRL and SRS, most would just put tape over the lights but that would bug the shit out of me so i have corrected what was required to make these issues go away properly

White with Blue stripe goes into Green plug pin 13, corrects DRL
Solid Pink from BLUE plug into GREEN plug pin 2, corrects SRS

you will be left with the shorter pink wire from the green plug, tape it off and leave it. i hope this helps people with the DRL and SRS.:x:

crazy8skater
06-15-2012, 01:39 AM
So I am going to be swapping my 02 dx cluster to an 03 ex cluster tomorrow I believe, so I will be gaining the tachometer, would I need to do anything special for that, or can I use this diy exactly like it's written

1SickEs1
06-15-2012, 01:57 AM
Just dont forget to extend the gas gauge.

Sent from my SGH-T589 using Tapatalk

crazy8skater
06-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Just finished the cluster swap and everything works fine except that my center console lights around my radio etc do not illluminate when my lights are on any more? Would anyone know what could cause this or how to fix it? Also, the ABS light is on because my 02 DX doesn't have ABS is there a way to turn that off?!

All your help is very much appreciated! Thanks guys!!

wickedbautista
06-16-2012, 05:18 PM
No illumination means you didn't put one wire correct, happen to me once. And as far as abs light ...black tape works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1SickEs1
06-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Yea take the cover off and put tape on it. And what flavio said. I had to take it off 3 times to get everything right.

Natem2
07-04-2012, 12:32 PM
i have a 2004 civic special edition looks like this
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/8674/dsc045445.jpg
can i put in an lx or ex cluster? is it direct plug and play? and does it matter if the cluster is from a sedan or a coupe? excuse my noobness

Honder
07-04-2012, 01:20 PM
You can put in an LX or EX cluster, from a coupe or sedan, doesn't matter. For example, I put an 03 LX Sedan cluster in my 01 EX Coupe. It will not be plug and play, you will have to follow the DIY as it's laid out.

Natem2
07-04-2012, 01:55 PM
sorry my car is an 04, so i should be good right?

Honder
07-04-2012, 07:17 PM
....yes.

Ph_Ayman
07-05-2012, 12:47 AM
Just dont forget to extend the gas gauge.

what do you mean Adam..?? is that will solve my old problem ..i am driving like that since that time
http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=681747&postcount=67

....yes.
hey bro...i thought yuo are not around anymore. you thread helped many members here. thanks

Honder
07-05-2012, 02:57 AM
I hadn't been for a couple years, just kinda lost interest in modding my car for a while. Did a few things already and have some more planned for this year, so here I am. Thanks for the props :tup:

Ph_Ayman
07-05-2012, 03:31 AM
that is good to hear from you again :p
any idea to solve this issue
http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/sho...7&postcount=67

Honder
07-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Link's not working, unfortunately.

Ph_Ayman
07-05-2012, 02:37 PM
i just swaped mine
(http://img340.imageshack.us/i/30102010288.jpg/)

(http://img253.imageshack.us/i/31102010290.jpg/)

:P here it is

Honder
07-05-2012, 04:07 PM
I had the same problem with mine when I got it with the fuel gauge reading way below E even though I had half a tank. What I did was remove the clear cover, and manually advance the fuel gauge to full once I had filled up the car. You will hear it click against the gears in the motor, but if you're VERY careful, it should work fine. I did it to mine 4 years ago and the gauge is still working just fine.

As far as the door ajar warning, don't believe the US cars had that. Maybe the sedans, but I don't recall ever seeing it on my coupe, old cluster or new. Only one I am aware of is the trunk ajar. I wouldn't worry too much about it...but then again, I have a coupe and you have a sedan, so you have twice as many doors to worry about then I do.:rofl:

Ph_Ayman
07-06-2012, 02:45 PM
yes that is why i need to check the dome light instead now ..hahah
thx for the advise,i will do this

JayDeeEm
09-29-2012, 11:57 AM
So I just did my swap, let me say thanks for the diy btw. But I ran into a problem.

My radio doesnt turn on now, I only have 2 wires left over and nothing too crazy out of the ordinary, fuses looked good, nothing else I could think of...

Any ideas, I miss my radio lol

JayDeeEm
09-30-2012, 01:28 AM
Ok so I have an update.. I dont have my right blinker on my cluster, dome light is twisted n my pwr door locks dont work I guess.. Any ideas? Or do I just repin??

JROK_EM2
09-24-2013, 02:13 PM
very helpful

Giovani
10-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Hey guys, i have a doubt as to the panel's Civic ... This Video is a D17 Sedan, that parents who he is?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cufAtoDlzU

Already looked on Ebay to buy for my future EX MT 2003 and I can not! Just think coupe, which has the highest reading taken in MPH.

charlesb2003
11-27-2013, 03:48 AM
I just did this on my 01 EM2, went with a cluster from an 05 sedan. Thanks for the DIY, it went very smoothly and my new cluster works great!

So I just did my swap, let me say thanks for the diy btw. But I ran into a problem.

My radio doesnt turn on now, I only have 2 wires left over and nothing too crazy out of the ordinary, fuses looked good, nothing else I could think of...

Any ideas, I miss my radio lol

Did you do the swap with your battery connected? I started to and noticed a spark at one point so I disconnected it. Turns out I had blown my radio fuse because my radio didn't power up after either. Changed the fuse (I think it's fuse #10 under the hood) and everything works fine now.

bbarbulo
01-19-2014, 09:44 PM
White with Blue stripe goes into Green plug pin 13, corrects DRL
Solid Pink from BLUE plug into GREEN plug pin 2, corrects SRS

you will be left with the shorter pink wire from the green plug, tape it off and leave it. i hope this helps people with the DRL and SRS.:x:

this is helpful! i did mine just by drawing up my own 'map' of pins, but there are two pinks, so I just guessed which one (used the short pink to green plug), and the SRS light is on. Having seen this, gonna swap the two pinks. Thank you sir! :tup:

i still have one other wire left over, yellow and black iirc, but all functionality seems to be there so I won't sweat it for now.

That_Tingler_Kid
03-21-2014, 12:10 PM
Great DIY